04/25/24 at 11:31:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBK212 Port Noise (Read 10864 times)
pbLarry
Verified Member

DBK212 Port Noise
11/25/11 at 20:12:06

I'm just finishing a DBK212 and whit the insert on it's stops I hear a lot of port noise. I'm using a Parts Express DVC310-88 with a 240 watt plate amp.

If I raise the insert about 1.5" most noise goes away, but I also lose a lot of low end.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

60's musician stuck in the digital age
  IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: DBK212 Port Noise
Reply #1 - 11/29/11 at 13:36:46

Did you have a chance to round off the edges of the port?

Does the 240w plate amp have bass boost?

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
pbLarry
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/15/12 at 18:04:56

Sorry about taking so long to get back. With the Holidays and family, the Sub had to take a break in the garage.

Thank you so much for the response.
The Plate amp is the one with the 6db of bass boost at 30hz.

I did modify the trailing edge of the insert exit by bullnosing it. I also eased the inner edges of the external port. I'm saving rounding the outer edges as a last resort because of the veneer I'm using.

I did do some more testing and with live content, both music and movies, I have to say it sounds pretty good. The only time the port noise gets annoying is when I'm using test signals. The spectrum analyzer shows it does ok down to about 27hz, but any lower has a lot of chuffing. I don't suppose there is much content down there anyway.

In case you're interested, I am veneering the cabinet with Lacewood and the corners, top and bottom will be trimmed in dark Hohduran Mahagony. I will use shellac to fill grain and build the finish up to smooth and possibly a varnish top coat. I want to use non-dewaxed shellac because it polishes so well so I may just use a wax top coat.

I'll attach a picture of the test finish piece.

IP Logged
pbLarry
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/12 at 19:00:55

I'll try the Picture one more time. No Luck with the picture. It's only 42k but always reports there is some number of kilobytes that cannot be uploaded.

Sorry

IP Logged
pbLarry
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/12 at 23:22:47

I don't know if anyone is monitoring this, I certainly appreciate HT-EXT responding to my initial query.

I found an old post that suggested about 1-1/2" of distance from the bottom of the insert to the bottom of the cabinet. Well, That did the trick.
I can still make ugly sounds with a tone generator but with music or movies, the only word that comes to mind is awesome.

It was built to go into a large room with cathedral ceilings and round out the surround system and 108" projection setup. It quite simply wails. It's a single story Florida home on slab with hardwood floors. When something in a movie blows up at high volume, the neighbors windows rattle.

The finish is Lacewood, hand padded shellac (6 coats) and a hand rubbed wax finish. the trim is mahogany and the spikes are Parts Express black chrome.

IP Logged
pbLarry
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/12 at 16:53:40

Attempting to load a picture.......

vcm_s_kf_repr_623x834.jpg

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 08/09/12 at 17:09:38

Looking good!!! My experience with these enclosures have been good and bad. When dealing with bandpass and ports it often ends up with some type of port noise or annoying sound at very high volumes. I guess there is always trade offs. One thing I can't complain about is the sound quality. The DBK212 has to be one of the best enclosure for almost perfect sound reproduction.

Again, Nice Build.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print