Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:13:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving Iron Cartridge for ZP3 (Read 10981 times)
Mganga
Verified Member

Moving Iron Cartridge for ZP3
11/10/11 at 21:43:28

I have a Michelle Gyrodec SE with TecnoArm and am planning on running it through a ZP3.  Does anyone have any experience with this combination?  Any recs on cartridges?  Specifically looking at the SMMC1 by Soundsmith which is a moving iron (output >0.6 mV/cm/sec).  Is the ZP3 up to task for this cartridge?  To be honest, I am fairly new to turntables and have only used moving magnets, but understand that moving irons do not require step up transformers - correct?  Appreciate the help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Moving Iron Cartridge for ZP3
Reply #1 - 11/10/11 at 22:52:44

That's an interesting question. I would call Steve and ask. . .he would know if you need M1, M2, or M3 or no M unit at all. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/10/11 at 23:16:16

You probably need a step up. Most moving magnets are 4-6 Mv. This is only .6, which is very low output.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Mganga
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/11/11 at 20:27:01

Thanks for the replies.  I am still trying to understand some terminology and standard definitions, but from what I can find on net, most cartridge outputs are stated as a standard of 5 cm/sec (meaning the output of the cartridge as the stylus moves at a rate of 5 cm/sec through the record grove.)  If this is true, I think that the actual output of the SMMC1 as stated in standard format is 3 mV (0.6mv/cm/sec x 5 cm/sec).  If this is true then maybe a step-up is not needed.  

Does this sound correct?  Does anyone know of a book detailing the science of turntables/cartridges?  I like nerdy books like that.  

Ill try to contact Soundsmith and SD on this.  Thanks again.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/11/11 at 23:05:34

I believe that the millivolt is an electrical not mechanical measurement.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
kingpin
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/28/11 at 19:43:41

The Soundsmith SMMC1 has an output of 2.12mV, which according to the Kab cartridge gain calculator at kabusa.com requires a phono stage with 43-44dB of gain, which is the same as the ZP3.  I have been considering trying out this combination, but I haven't had a chance to hear a Soundsmith cartridge to see if it's to my liking.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/24/11 at 20:16:33

I have been on the fence about a Soundsmith.  I was talkingto Pierre Spey of mapleshade, and he says the best value lies in the SMMC 2 but the eliptical with the aluminum caltilever the SMMC3 is also a contender being $250.00 less.   He also recommends the high compliance and with the 400 PF version.  Also said keep the capacitive load as low as possible.
  In reading about another cartridge just recently (Ortofon Kontrapunk) I found it interesting when they compared two different models, one with aluminum cantilever and one with ruby cantilever.  The reviewer indicating that the difference between the two was not in the high frequency's but centered arou 200-400 HZ where the ruby cantilever was less pronounced or slightly diminished.

Food for thought.

IP Logged
Mganga
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/26/11 at 05:23:44

Great input.  Much appreciated.  Law of diminishing returns comes to mind and perhaps applies to SMMC series.  For me it is between the SMMC1 and 2 as well, the Voice falls under the above axiom for me.  I tried calling Soundsmith about the advice offered by Pierre at Mapleshade and they never returned call; will have to try again, but not promising.

For now though, I am abusing a neighbors old equipment.  I finally hooked up my Michelle Gyrodec SE (bought 4 months ago no less) to a 20 year old borrowed MF phonostage and used an ancient Pioneer cartridge and old Paradigm mini monitors in a less than ideal room.  Despite these apparent bottlenecks, the sound is shut-the-hell-up-and-listen good.  Perhaps that is because I just got my TORII MKIII a week ago and cannot stop drooling (sight and sound both appreciated).  Best purchase to date; more to come.  All smiles for now.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/27/11 at 01:39:02

Unfortunately talking with someone at Soundsmith is not real easy.  I did talk to Peter once and he is great.  I found Pierre's insight in setup is pretty insightfull and he gave me some tips that cane be very usefull, especially for high compliance cartridges.    Good luck and enjoy.
Walt

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print