Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 03:09:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware phono with mono switch? (Read 1224 times)
magritte
Ex Member

Decware phono with mono switch?
03/26/10 at 20:28:41

Anyone had one built with a mono switch for listening to mono vinyl?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware phono with mono switch?
Reply #1 - 07/21/12 at 15:26:29

I inquired about whether one could be built with a mono switch and Steve answered that it could be. If I order one I'd order one with a mono switch as I listen to a lot of mono lps. I find the mono switch beneficial with my current phono preamp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/12 at 21:43:37

Hi Lon,  Did Steve mention what the price would be for an mono switch?

I'm interested in sending my phono back to Steve and having a mono switch installed (if it could be done on an existing unit).

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/22/12 at 02:37:48

Hi Mike,

No we didn't talk price in the emails. I'd give him a call or send him a message. I'm not ready to order for a few months or more, so I didn't go there. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/22/12 at 02:42:03

Thanks Lon!    I'll give Steve a call this week, and will post what I find out.

Mike

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/22/12 at 04:45:27

I had him put a mono switch on my CSP2 when it was built. I believe it was only a nominal fee. Well worth it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/22/12 at 05:34:31

Alright! Thanks for letting us know Sam. Any word on your Torii yet?

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/22/12 at 15:14:30

According to Sarah it's ready to be shipped back to me Monday. Waiting to hear from Steve what the problem was but hopefully by the end of the week it will be back in the system. Really looking forward to it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 07/22/12 at 15:23:45

Awesome news! Now the real listening can begin. . . .

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/24/12 at 17:09:56

OK, I just got off the phone with Steve, concerning the ZP3.  

The cost to put a mono switch on an existing ZP3 would be around $100, maybe a little more.  It depends on where the existing RCA jacks are on your unit.  Mine are on the front, next to the 12AX7's.

I'm going to send my ZP3 in next week for the mono switch addition. Steve said it'll be about a two week turnaround.

I'm looking forward to this!

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 07/24/12 at 17:19:12

Thanks for sharing Mike. I'm months away from ordering a ZP3 if I'm going to so I'll be looking for your impressions. Smiley

I'm so happy with my PS Audio GCPH phono preamp that I wonder if it makes sense ordering the ZP3. But of course it does, it's a Decware phono preamp! Smiley

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/24/12 at 17:45:13

Hi Lon,  You should seriously consider ordering a ZP3 when you feel it's time to get a different phono preamp.

I originally owned a ZP2 and got a ZP3 in 2008. It was a huge upgrade.  The large wood chassis dampens vibrations much better than the original metal box design.  Plus, the general design of the ZP3 is greatly improved over the ZP2, with the addition of the big tranformer, tube voltage regulation, choice of 5U4G or 5Y3GT rectifiers, etc.

Steve said the design of the ZP3 has not changed since I got my 2008 version.

Like the Torri III, the ZP3 responds to tube rolling, Herbie's Audio Lab products, etc.  But in it's stock form, it still sounds great.  I'm happy.

It'll be a month or so before I get the ZP3 back.  I'll certainly let you know my impressions of how mono LPs sound with the new mono switch.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 07/24/12 at 18:04:56

Thanks for the encouragement Mike, it will likely happen, I've emailed a bit with Steve about it and I see my vinyl listening time increasing week by week and that trend is likely to continue.

Have you heard the PS Audio GCPH? Really impressing me, sounding better than I expected. No hardship to listen to that til I have a ZP3.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/24/12 at 23:32:31

Hey Lon,

No, I haven't listened to the PS Audio phono stage, but I read the Vinyl Anachronist review, and it sounds like a very good phono preamp for the price.   I have a feeling you'd be pretty happy listening to it for some time to come.

The ZP3 "might" be a little noiser than the GCPH, but I doubt if it would be by much.   The ZP3 probably integrates better with Decware equipment and it is a tube phono pre, so you can roll tubes to tailor the sound to your liking.  And this phono pre does like nice tubes.

Steve  mentioned today that it was voiced around the 5Y3GT, but he often ships units out with 5U4G's. He says either one works fine.  

I've used RCA's and currently a Tungsol 5Y3GT, but am now going to try RCA, Tungsol, and Sylvania 5U4G's, to hear what happens.

My ZP3 was used with my former Torii II, and now my V-capped Torii III, and have no plans to switch to a different phono pre (or different amp) in the next few years.

I feel it's a Decware "Best Buy" (like the Torii III).

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 07/24/12 at 23:46:43

Thanks for the info Mike. I'm very happy with the GCPH, it seems to match tonally quite well my Perfectwave DAC Mark II. I'm sure I'd love the ZP3, though another opportunity to tube roll? I'm not sure I want that! Smiley Just kidding but tube-rolling becomes unnerving for me sometinnes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print