Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 14:23:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Conductive grease? Contact grease? (Read 2899 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Conductive grease? Contact grease?
11/04/11 at 05:46:22

I'm reading about products like SilClear which are conductive greases meant to be applied to and improve any contact, speaker, interconnect, power.  

It makes sense... we get good plugs on power cords and hospital grade outlets purely to make better contact.  ZStyx recommended used straight with no connector, for better contact.  So why not add to it with a conductive grease?  (In cars, this is done to all over the place. Of course it's also for corrosion resistance)

Anyway, does anyone have experince with this type of product?  good, bad?  Audiogon folks say it works great for months then gets worse over time. Others have no complaints.

Thought I'd ask you guys.

Thanks

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Conductive grease? Contact grease?
Reply #1 - 11/10/11 at 15:06:05

I have a lot of experience with these products. First, in my former career with the telephone company, a special grease was used for many contact applications. As you mentioned however, it was used with the intent of protecting the contact, not improving it. But for many years now, I have used contact improvers, especially for low voltage applications. Silclear is very good, but as with any grease, it will deteriorate with time. I have seen it react with battery connections, so it clearly is not the best case there. I would recommend it with power cords, speaker connections, and interconnects. Over-application was my first mistake with this product. Lets just say the least needed for the effect is best. Caig is another product you may be interested in. Much lighter and has a mild cleaning effect as well.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Re: Conductive grease? Contact grease?
Reply #2 - 11/11/11 at 06:10:04

Thanks for the info.   Your advice matches the further reading I've done about these products--  Use only barely enough. Don't over do it.  

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print