Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 17:49:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Power Conditioning - New PSAudio P5 (Read 7458 times)
KimKman
Ex Member

Power Conditioning - New PSAudio P5
11/11/11 at 05:06:43

FYI

Got a pretty good deal on a P5 from PSAudio so I jumped on it to install in my Decware system.  I live in the sticks in NH.  On the scope my input power sine wave is flat-topped with !23V at 7% distortion.  Output using the P5 is 120V at 0.6% distortion.

Sound is definitely improved.  Much sweeter and smooth.  Bass is also tighter.

System P5 is used on - ZP1, CSP2, Torrii II, Perfectwave Transport and DAC, VPI turntable, Von Schweikert VR4 speakers.

Just a heads up for anyone the may be able to give a P5 a try on their system.  I believe it was a good investment for me.

Regards,
KimKman
Gilsum, NH

IP Logged
Brett

Re: Power Conditioning - New PSAudio P5
Reply #1 - 11/11/11 at 05:12:01

I'm running a power plant premier and concur with your findings

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 11/11/11 at 07:19:01

I aspire to the P5. For now I have to stick with my Adcom ACE - 515 AC enhancer that has served me well for 15 years. You have the Perfect Wave combo too.....I am jealous.

Anyway, my reason for responding to this post is to point out, that it's nice to see your running a pair of VR4's with your Torii (88, 89 or 90db @ 1watt/1meter = VR4's). I think to many people (IMO), visiting this site, get the impression that only high efficiency speaker can be used with Decware Amps. Certainly not the case for the big Torii's and not even the case for the Zen Select (2001 purchased new) with my humble LS 90's, the magic is there at 76 to 84db SPL. I also have a pair of Polk SDA 1's from 1984/85 reconditioned with original parts that I use in straight two channel stereo and plug in the SDA function from time to time.

I do realize your preamp is providing more gain too....but still you probably could drive your Torii II direct in to your VR4's with good results.

KimKman, what do you use for cables in your system?

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/11/11 at 11:35:21

stone_of_tone wrote on 11/11/11 at 07:19:01:
Anyway, my reason for responding to this post is to point out, that it's nice to see your running a pair of VR4's with your Torii (88, 89 or 90db @ 1watt/1meter = VR4's). I think to many people (IMO), visiting this site, get the impression that only high efficiency speaker can be used with Decware Amps. Certainly not the case for the big Torii's and not even the case for the Zen Select (2001 purchased new) with my humble LS 90's, the magic is there at 76 to 84db SPL. I also have a pair of Polk SDA 1's from 1984/85 reconditioned with original parts that I use in straight two channel stereo and plug in the SDA function from time to time.

I do realize your preamp is providing more gain too....but still you probably could drive your Torii II direct in to your VR4's with good results.

KimKman, what do you use for cables in your system?

Stone of Tone

The VR4's are bi-wired.  I have tried many different combos on the speaker hookup and what I ended up with for most satisfying sound is running the Decware ZEN STYX - SILVER REFERENCE SPEAKER CABLES to the top section (high - mid) and MIT MH770 CV Terminators to the bottom low end section.

Yes, the my Torii MKII has plenty of guts to drive me right out of my listening room or fill the whole house with sound if wanted.  For 95% of my listening I am hardly taxing available power.  Another note I sometimes hook up my Mini Torii I use in my home office to the VR4's and it does just fine.  Not that I am listening to Golden Earring 'Radar of Love' (love to crank that one) or anything but the Mini Torii will create quite satisfying listening as well.

I have a Torii MKIII in the build pipeline and am very eager to hear it on my setup.  Also I have run the Perfect Wave DAC straight to the Torii with no issues and I know for another user here that is his preferred setup. For me I prefer the sound of using the CSP2 in the chain.

Regards,
KimKman

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/11/11 at 13:24:01

Hey KimKam, welcome to the PS Audio power regeneration club! Years ago I used a P300, one of the first built, but that died on me and I never had it fixed.  I went with separate isolation transformers for digital and analog, both feeding a PS Audio Duet, and that worked well (now in my second system). I finally bought a Power Plant Premier and it transformed my system. I also started buying used top of th line PS Audio power cords for the system (Premier SC and PerfectWave AC12) and these have really catapaulted the sound in my estimation.

Yes, I prefer the PerfectWave DAC straight in to the CSP2 after a comparison. I probably will sell the CSP2 as I'm not using it. It thickened and slowed the sound down too much in my case and in my system, though it sounded great, I preferred to have the simpler path of DAC into Torri. Every day I marvel at the sound!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/11/11 at 15:12:12

Thanks Lon.  I may play some more with the DAC direct to the Torii.  I know Paul at PSAudio also highly recommends not using a preamp.  I am also changing over from coaxial to the Is2 today if my cable came in.

KimKman

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/11/11 at 15:27:01

Great. I think I2S via HDMI is great for Redbook!

What HDMI cable are you using?  My Duo was bought with a deal including cables, and I have the silver PS Audio HDMI in use. It took some time to break in, but I find it excellent. I compared it to two other cables (one copper, one silver-coated copper) and prefer it to the others.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/13/11 at 07:04:56

Using the 10 model silver-coated copper.  What differences did you hear using the all silver?  I picked up the silver-coated copper for $69 and see the all silver are at a pretty good price as well at $225.  May try the 12 also.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/13/11 at 13:31:40

I wasn't using the PS Audio silver plated, but a three year old Audioquest silver plated HDMI cable.

The difference wasn't dramatic. . . with the silver the sound was a bit "faster" and there was a bit more air to the treble. But note that they were different manufacturer's cables. They are "blowing out" those PS Audio silver cables now, and the prices are better. I'm not sure tht it's worth the change, depends on your system and taste I suppose.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print