04/20/24 at 02:46:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84CSM Monoblocks (Read 13875 times)
Auguie

SE84CSM Monoblocks
10/20/11 at 23:24:42

Hi All,

Just rec'd a pair of SE84CSM monoblocks from a dealer in CA, who was selling them for a customer.  They were made in January of 2005, and the serial numbers are 011 & 012.  I'll set them up this weekend and report back here on their sound with my system, but I have a question.  The paperwork I rec'd is for a SE84CS, and I understand that it's the same as the mono's but in a stereo configuration, but there is no info on the actual specs of these mono's.  So...as they are factory amps, and since bridge mono's of the stereo versions are around 5 watts, are these mono amps rated at 5 watts output?  I assume they are, but want to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your response...

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84CSM Monoblocks
Reply #1 - 10/21/11 at 01:57:21

You should post some pictures of these.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #2 - 10/21/11 at 23:17:14

Hi Riveriaranch,

Good idea.  I will after I set them up.

I have another question for the forum.  The input tubes I rec'd are different.  One is a 6922, and the other is a 61NP. (I think that's the number on it)  Any problem running these different tubes in these amps?  Would it be better to have the same input tube in each amp?  I will set them up tomorrow if nobody thinks it will be a problem.  I've been without an amp for too long and I need my music...

anyway, thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/22/11 at 02:00:23

Either input tube will work, but they have different sound characteristics. The 6N1P is warmer sounding and the amp was voiced for that tube. The 6922 will sound different. Best to get a pair of each or some other variant to begin trying.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #4 - 10/22/11 at 14:08:20

Thanks Rivieraranch.  That's good advice.  any recommendations other than Steve's?

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/22/11 at 15:31:03

Dan, you should be getting about five or six watts per amp if they're bridged. Nice score! I think you'll be very happy with these.

You definitely want to have (idealy) a matched pair of either or both the 6N1P and 6922. The same tube type in each amp. I've become sold on the 6N1P tube type myself over the years, it works very well with digital sources, and has a warmth and openness that suits the music I play well.

You have a lot of fun ahead of you with those amps!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #6 - 10/22/11 at 22:46:47

Lon,

These are not bridged, they are factory mono's.  You think that makes a difference in the output?

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/22/11 at 22:51:15

Alright. I can't say definitively but I'd say no.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #8 - 10/22/11 at 23:47:28

Thanks Lon...this looks like a question for Steve.  Hopefully he monitors this forum.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/22/11 at 23:49:33

A phone call is usually the best way to reach him.

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #10 - 10/29/11 at 00:13:02

Hi All,

Well, I finially got around to calling Steve today, and he confirmed what I suspected...my amps are wire for a 2 watt output.  The single output tube gave it away.

However...IT STILL ROCKS!!!.  The fact that it drives me VS VR-3's to levels more that I care to listen to, and at just 87 db effeciency @ 6 ohms nominal, speaks volumns to me.  I will continue to post my impressions in the review forum, so please stay tuned.
As always, any comments are welcome.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print