Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 20:15:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84ct with Avantgarde Uno (Read 9257 times)
Mohicanrx7
Ex Member

SE84ct with Avantgarde Uno
05/05/10 at 01:18:26

Has anyone had any experience with this combo, The Uno is 101db/watt/meter and has it's own amplifier that drives the bass unit.

IP Logged
Mohicanrx7
Ex Member

Re: SE84ct with Avantgarde Uno
Reply #1 - 05/08/10 at 09:52:14

Let me try this a different way, if I bought the se84c+ and realized I needed (want) more power would it be best to return Zen and purchase Taboo or woud 2 Zen in mono be the better combo. My amp now is an Audio Research classic 60 but it has shotrted output transformer it will cost the same as a Zen to get fixed. I also had a Jolida 202, Threshold Sa3. Now using a Marantz 2245 with my Uno's, sounds, livable with for a short while.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 05/08/10 at 12:21:57

Bridging a second Zen will net you 6dB additional volume before clipping when compared to a single unit in stereo.

The Taboo would be about the same but the taboo benefits from a preamp so that needs to be considered.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Mohicanrx7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/08/10 at 17:47:49

I do have an Audio Research sp9 that I can use untill I can swing your CSP2 if the Taboo would be the better choice. My speakers being over 100 db/w/m and very revealing, I was thinking (hoping) the se84c+ would be all I need but I can not get the idea of the "lucid mode" and more power with the Taboo out of my head. Maybe buy one of each do a in home evaluation then return one, unless Steve would have an issue with such a practice.

IP Logged
Mohicanrx7
Ex Member

Re: SE84c+ with Avantgarde Uno
Reply #4 - 05/09/10 at 04:38:11

I just ordered the Taboo! Yeah! Can't wait.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/09/10 at 14:12:07

Congrats!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave Evans
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/18/11 at 19:40:30

Sorry i'm late but it's time someone posted in this forum:) sorry to hear about your problems with the Taboo, I won't post to much as i'm not sure if you bought another amp or not,
I'd just like to say the 2watts of the zen drives the Uno's with ease and superb at that, in recent years iv'e tried several amps including a el84 pp and a well known 300b and my SE84C has seen them off easily,
I am waiting for some 6P15P-EV's from russia and a Mullard GZ32 from here in the UK, god knows whats in store for me when these are burned in and I carry out the CCE mod.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print