Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:43:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about my Taboo (Read 10788 times)
clowkoy

Questions about my Taboo
10/15/11 at 19:05:44

Hello!
I have a couple of questions regarding my Taboo.
My Taboo has the headphone output option for my LCD-2. I also connect a speaker to it when I don't want to listen to headphones. Will I harm the amp if I don't connect a headphone or speaker?
Second, when the input/output tubes are installed and seated, they can be rocked back and forth like it's loose, although I think the pins that connect to the tubes are tight. The problem I think is with the solder leads at the bottom of the pins. This is also true with my CSP2+. This bothers me because my WA6 and Lyr don't have this issue.
Thank you in advance.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Questions about my Taboo
Reply #1 - 10/15/11 at 19:11:10

I do not think that it is harmful to have the TABOO on without speaker wires or headphone input - unlike other amps that are putting out higher watts. The transformers won't be harmed.

The tubes can shift a little while in the socket; this is true of my TABOO and my Mini Torii as well. The sockets themselves are tightly attached to the frame, however they allow for some slight tube movement after the tube is installed. The pins are making full contact though.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #2 - 10/15/11 at 19:30:51

Thank you for the fast reply. I know you can short the output without causing any harm.
As with the tube socket, I guess that's just how Steve designed it.
I've been enjoying the combo though.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/15/11 at 23:54:46

I've had two TABOOS and they are awesome. The lucid mode you will not find anywhere else. Put a good preamplifier in front of it and it rivals the big boys in the lineup.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Coles
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/08/11 at 09:03:04

Can you mention few preamplifier that are good to be used.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/08/11 at 13:42:34

I see the CSP2 preamplifier being used quite often here with the Taboo to great results according to the report. I've used one (not using it now) with a Select, Decware SE34 Monoblocks, a Torii Mk II and a Torii Mk III. Phenomenal preamp. The gain adjustment is so uesful and the clarity makes for an excellent sounding presentation. Quite dynamic!

If you are only using one source the ZSTAGE may be a wonderful choice. Owners seem to love that in front of any of the amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #6 - 01/08/12 at 17:56:15

I don't want to start another thread since my next question is still related to my Taboo.
I bought a Bendix 6106 from an ebay seller who claimed it's an NOS. It didn't  light up when I put it in but the power tubes did. I also didn't hear sound from the speaker. I already cleaned the pins before I installed it.
Now my concern is, is the "dead" rectifier going to cause damage to the amp? It runs fine after putting back the old Sylvania 5Y3GT.
I contacted the seller and he has sent me another 6106. I've never had a bad rectifier before and I've read that Bendix 6106 is a tough tube.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/08/12 at 18:04:40

I also remember receiving a 6106 dud. It happens. Sometimes the trip does a rectifier in. However, it should not with one of these as I understand they were built for missile duty.

I doubt anything happened to the amp.

55   IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #8 - 01/08/12 at 18:37:45

Thank you for your reply.
I understand your taboo is at Decware right now. You'll love the conversion. I think it's not just a matter of installing a jack parallel to the speaker connections because the lucid mode switch now acts as lucid mode/"crossfed" switch, turning it off would make the sound mono.
I unplug the speakers when I listen to headphones.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print