04/20/24 at 05:33:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GZ32 instead of 5U4G? (Read 1085 times)
maprik
Verified Member

GZ32 instead of 5U4G?
10/09/11 at 00:34:31

I have read in a few places people using Mullard GZ32 (a type of 5v4)  rectifiers instead of 5U4G tubes.  Is this OK to do in the SE32I.2+???  I'd like to try it but don't want to hurt the amp or the tubes....

IP Logged
maprik
Verified Member

Re: GZ32 instead of 5U4G?
Reply #1 - 11/01/11 at 05:24:31

Did it and love it.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/25/12 at 14:21:50

I have been using Mullard's GZ32's from 1967 (two years older than me!) for quite some time.  To me, they sound a bit more open in the mids and trebles than other rectifiers that I have tried on both the SE84+, SE34I.2 and the TORII mkII.  Also, the bass is tighter with these and all the frequencies seem to be represented evenly!

As I wrote in another post, I switched back to the GZ32's after using Sylvania's 5U4GB's for a few months and I definitely love it with the GZ32's!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/23/13 at 13:47:01

OWNERS MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/14 at 16:51:33

I have been using a mullard gz32 with a metal base from the fifties and have found that to be the best so far (mullard fat base was my choice before that from around 1961)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/07/14 at 23:21:36

At Zenfest this year, I listened to a Rachael with the Valve Art 274B.  Everything else was the same as my rig - input tubes, power tubes, interconnects, speaker wires, etc.  Speakers were different, but I tried a couple different types of speakers.

Anyway, I liked the way the Valve Art sounded.  I had read both good and bad reviews about this rectifier but I thought it had a more "present sound" that was more appealing to me now than the somewhat more laid back sound of the RCA 5u4Gs I have been using.  I'm going to run it for awhile and then switch back to the RCAs to see if I still prefer it more.

Anyway, just thought I would toss that out there.  They are relatively inexpensive and I bought one from Steve before I left the fest.  I think Cryoset offers a cryo'd version for $25.  I'd seen non-cryo'd for as low as $13.

He seemed to have them in many of the amps which use rectifiers so I figured it didn't hurt that he liked them too.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/07/14 at 23:30:58

I've been using them in my Torii Mk III in my second system and my Torii Mk II in my system at my parents'. . . . I'm using the cryo'd version, I suggested to Ron at cryoset that he cryo these and he did and they have been selling for him.

With the right tube complement these are very good rectifiers. My first ones I didn't like til I did some tube-rolling around them. They've also been very stable and dependable for me. A great tube for a little money. I've had both cryo'd and non-cryo'd in use and I think the cryo'd have a hair more depth and cohesiveness top to bottom.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/09/14 at 18:12:31

Thanks Lon.  I may check out the Cryo'd version and put this one in my second system.  So far I like them.  I'll switch back in about a week and see what I think.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print