Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 18:14:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WALKING OUT OF NIRVANA (Read 9905 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

WALKING OUT OF NIRVANA
10/08/11 at 19:36:45

It took a long time to get here. It cost a lot of money. It was very frustrating/disappointing at times, but I didn't quit. So, just last night, I arrived. It is Nirvana. So sweet and amazing to the senses. I know the difference between this and all the tricks. With the right recording(in this case Dire Straits 'On every street), you are allowed not to worry about everything or anything. You are there and it is sweet. I say all of this to share and inspire. There is sometimes a synergy that should never be unplugged. 'What if' should be slapped in the face. I can tell you how I got there, but it may not be the same path of equipment/enviroment for you. 'There's no accounting for taste'. But for now, I have found Nirvana. Wish I could send a postcard.......

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: WALKING OUT OF NIRVANA
Reply #1 - 10/08/11 at 20:05:57

Huzzah!  Now don't mess it up!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 10/08/11 at 20:15:13

THAT, would be walking out of Nirvana, wouldn't it... the curse of my past.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/08/11 at 21:03:57

Props indeed 4krow! It's fun listening to folks wax poetic about the synergy, and there is nothing wrong with detailing the journey. Dire Straits is one of my faves, and On Evey Street is excellent. I often use the DVD-A of Brothers in Arms to show off the system. If you don't have it, check out the second disc of the import of Sultans of Swing. The live disc was recorded at Wembley, and it captures the energy of a DS concert well.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 10/09/11 at 05:55:01

I have the 'bro in arms' on JVC  XRCD  Wow! it's one of my favorites. Now Sultans should be something to get in the near future. Just forgot I guess.
 I have a confession,  tonight I modded the Carver C9...I just thought someone should know....

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/09/11 at 15:29:41

The C9 is a classic. What did you do to it?

The XRCD is good, very good. You should hear it in 5.1. Everyone is different when it comes to surround remaster/remixes of stuff they like, but the BIA in 5.1, especially the title track, is quite good, and the SQ is amazing.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 10/09/11 at 15:48:48

I was lucky enough to find someone who knew the weaknesses of the circuit design. Guess some of it was obvious. All capacitors in the signal path were upgraded Nichion. Think thats the spelling. Also one cap in each channel does not have to be electrolytic, so a bipolar was used instead. Then all the power supply caps were changed. On the back, I replaced the cheap rca connections with much better case mounted types. Then I installed an rf filter in the power supply. I also applied silver paste to the fuse. I thought it needed an inline switch, so I installed a decent quality one. Lastly, the ac plug is not a great one, and I found a solid brass prong one with no little holes in the prongs. Oh yah, the little rubber feet were missing, so I used thick felt strips instead. Then I went to bed....

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/09/11 at 17:03:24

There are actually a fair number of Carver and Sunfire repair/upgrade services out there, including Bob himself. I am having my M1.5T upgraded, with some new rail work, cap replacement, power cord replaced and IEC-socketed with a switch, etc., in prep for the subs when I put them in. I have had lots of Carver amps, a couple of preamps, briefly a set of the Amazing speakers. Fun stuff, and it delivered very good performance/price results.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 10/09/11 at 18:40:13

PR,

This is good for me to know. Sometimes I feel that I stumble on to something that no one else is aware of, and then cannot find good mod advice because of it. Do you know if anyone out there recommends changing any or all of the outdated ic's to a better performing model?

IP Logged
Juan Antonio

Reply #9 - 10/10/11 at 16:28:05

Ahhh, On Every Street, one of my favourites during my teens days. So beguiling and captivating. Dire Straits are defenitely one of my all times classic.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 10/10/11 at 18:26:59

I am trying to relisten' to my collection now that things are 'Nirvi' One that came up quick was Elton Johns' 'Tumbleweed connection'  The first track has the slightest reverb on his voice that I don't recall before. Pretty cool.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/14/11 at 04:23:21

4krow wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if anyone out there recommends changing any or all of the outdated ic's to a better performing model?

I'll check my bookmarks and see if any of the Carver refurb places discuss IC replacement.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 10/14/11 at 17:41:49

Much appreciated. This unit seems to have promise some applications, and has a cool effect on recordings that I have not heard before. Maybe that is why I havekept my unit for so long and use it now and then. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print