05/07/24 at 21:11:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RSB 6 Switch Box (Read 715 times)
Auguie

RSB 6 Switch Box
10/17/11 at 23:32:49

Hi All,

I'm a new mamber as well as a soon to be new owner of a pair of (used) SE84CS M monoblocks.  They should be here in a cople of days.  Can't wait!!!

Anyway, since I traded my Krell intergrated for the monoblocks, I don't have a preamp for my three (3) sources.  I have seen the rotary switch box on the site, as well as others on different forums.  I spoke with Steve about the unit and he told me it was outsourced and not made by Decware.  I asked him if he thought the unit had any downsides in usage and he felt because it was a passive unit, it would not be an issue.  My questions is...has anyone had experience using this or any other passive switch box with Zen amps?  I'm not opposed to using a preamp, but I would prefer to limit the amount of connections between the amp and source.  Also, I'm a little lazy and would rather not switch cables  ;D.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: RSB 6 Switch Box
Reply #1 - 10/18/11 at 01:26:58

Dan,

I used the Steve's switch box for awhile when I had a turntable set up, even with that I noticed no ill effects from it.

With out the third source, I let the CSP2 do the switching. I would bet the CSP2 would make those mono's sing.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #2 - 10/18/11 at 01:45:24

ZYGI,

Thanks for the feedback.  Since my primary source will be a turntable, your comment is encouraging, and will help with my decision.  It seems to be a reasonable investment for the convienence.  I'll let you know what I decide after I get the amps and play with them a bit.  However, that laziness keeps ringing in my ear.  Maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy the box now instead of waiting!!!

What to do...what to do...  

Thanks,

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Denafrips Aries II DAC;Innous ZenMini MKII server;VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart;Phenomena II Phono Pre;XLO/Wireworld/Signal/Transparent Cables.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/18/11 at 03:01:56

A switchbox would have to be pretty bad to get in the way of sound. I used a little Radio Shack AV switching unit with my first TABOO and it never got in the way of the sound.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/18/11 at 03:25:21

Well, any switching device that uses active switches, such as ICs, can be pretty bad, and is usually fairly audible in the way that a bad preamp can be.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #5 - 10/18/11 at 11:32:35

Thanks Riverranch and Pale Rider.  Good advice, and just the type of input I was looking for.  Anyone else want to chime in?

Dan

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/18/11 at 13:19:15

I've no experience with the Decware switching box, but have used another box much earlier on in my listening life, with no real negative experience that I can remember.

If Steve sells it, I'd trust it to be an excellent choice.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/18/11 at 14:45:23

Lon opined:

Quote:
If Steve sells it, I'd trust it to be an excellent choice.

Completely agree.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #8 - 10/19/11 at 23:06:43

Hi All,

Well, I bit the bullit and ordered the unit this morning.  I hope it is in sock and ships soon.  I should get my amps tomorrow and will post my impressions in that forum.  I'll also post back my impressions of the RSB-6 here after I've installed same and listened for a while.

See you in a few days.....

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print