Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 23:07:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
another step forward for my ZEN. (Read 9145 times)
nico

another step forward for my ZEN.
09/10/11 at 19:18:03

Knowing the effect of different mains cables and thus owning a few of them, one of the mods I wanted for my Zen was the possability of changing the powercable.
Today I removed the fixed powercord of the ZEN and installed a entree [as we call it here], so now I can try out some of the mains powercables I have lying around.
Just wanted to share, for this little amp just got better and better after the repositioning of the rca's to the front [eleminating the internal wire plus pot], installing the "Hazen mod", using a Mullard GZ32 for rectifier, and now the use of a decent powercord. This little amp rewarded me after each step with a even more natural sound, better soundstage and more emotional involvement while listening.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66295610@N06/?saved=1
pic. 5
I love it!
Nico

IP Logged
Dave Evans
Verified Member

Re: another step forward for my ZEN.
Reply #1 - 11/06/11 at 23:20:15

Hi Nico, I may try the power cord conversion on my el84c as it's within my range of diy, the hazen mod interests me also but I will have to go further into that, I have this evening ordered some 6P15P-EV's and as far as I can understand the mod will get the best from them,
back to the power cord it's your post that's prompted me to try that but the internet is full of sceptics regarding power cords so I will post my own findings and let you know,
I have also ordered a Brimar 5V4G so i'm hoping it will give some of the benifits as the GZ32,

IP Logged
nico

Reply #2 - 11/07/11 at 01:42:48

I've been sceptic about all the things written about powercords, mains fuses atec, myself for years.
Personally, when I consider something worth trying I will. Now I have a separate powerline to my setup, separating transformer [so I'm not directly connected to the mains of my house], and various home-made and bought powerlines. Each of these things were listened to for a week or so before deciding it was going to stay or go. About the powerline of your ZEN; there is a reason the creator of this amp changed from a fixed powercord to a removable one on the later models.... Wink
Most noticable difference for my setup was the dedicated powerline. All other changes added to a more natural sound as well, but are best noticable when you listen to them for a few days and then remove them again....you'll likely experience the same as me and become a believer as well. I want to conclude that I will not however buy the exotic powercords for insane prices you find everywhere nowadays, read about what Steve has to say about the subject here at Decware's!
After trying out some rectifiertubes I found the mullard GZ32 to be the best of them all [to my ears].
Good luck with modding your ZEN, and keep us updated as we all can learn from other people's experiences.
Nico

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/07/11 at 12:29:45

Personally I believe the right power cord can make a huge difference. The Decware power cords are really great for their products. I have them throughout my second system. I've a My Audio Cable (MAC) ijn use there too on my TV, as well as a TARA Labs cable on my Blu-Ray player..

I've used PS Audio power cords for many years and have worked my way up their line and really think that their top of the line cords are wonderful in my main system. The Torii just sails along with one, and they even transform my television picture. I wish they weren't so expensive. I have bought all of mine used at half the price or less, still expensive, but the results of their use are worth it to me. (And they'll outlast me).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave Evans
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/07/11 at 13:42:51

Hi Nico and Lon, thanks for the replies but with the exeption of the zen I use russandrews power cords throughout and have never used my present system without, my system is fed from the house mains but on a seperate 30 amp spur but with all fuses being of the correct value, I look forward to trying these mods and will let you know the results, sorry for wondering of topic about the tubes but it seems apparent the GZ32 works better in some models than others (I have the EL84C), I can get a mullard GZ32 not cheap but I will more that likley buy it just to try,
thanks again for the replies and help.

Regards Dave.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/07/11 at 14:06:59

I've never tried a GZ32 in any of the amps. Definitely an expensive experiment including the Mullard brand in the equation, but could be quite fruitful. Let us know the results if you go there!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/07/11 at 16:22:35

Nico, Sounds fun! When I first got my ZSTAGE Steve made me up some ICs that were 7-8" long using the same copper in the ZSTAGE, the idea being as transparent a cable between the STAGE and the ZDAC as possible. I found them rich and revealing, but for me, a little too dark, the richness slightly overwhelming some inner detail, and therefore they were less revealing than I like. It was easily solved with some MAC braided silver ICs I got from an Audiogon auction cheap. So it is not surprising to me that by cutting out some internal wire in your Zen that you got results.

Seems to me with wire/cables...power, ICs and speaker, that cables designed for clean audio transmission definitely sound different. It is no surprise that serious designers are specific about the wire, solder, connectors, caps and so on they put in their stuff. You hear it. That is if the system/room is revealing enough, and if our hearing is good enough to be discerning. This does not necessarily mean "golden ears." There are a lot of great audio designers and recording engineers who's ears are getting a little "old" but still have discerning hearing. Even if two cables are very close in construction and material, but then put audio quality AC and IEC connectors on one, I easily hear it. In my experience, with power cables from MAC, kits from Cryoparts and VHAudio, and made up cables from PI Audio, the cables are easily as important as tubes for rolling them to find the best system synergy. This can only happen if each of these very good sounding cables has a signature.

I don't understand the skeptics, guessing they either have not tried good cables or can't hear for physical or system reasons. No question in my system/room.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print