Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 15:16:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen ULTRA Owner's Manual (Read 10756 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Zen ULTRA Owner's Manual
07/10/11 at 17:26:38

The owner's manual for the Ultra is now online

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZenUltraManual.pdf

-Steve  :)

WWW   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Zen ULTRA Owner's Manual
Reply #1 - 07/10/11 at 19:23:10

OMG, this is such great news. Thanks Steve!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/10/11 at 20:07:41

Steve:
I saw a couple of new references in the User Guide, specifically here:
Quote:
If your components are in a rack and long cable lengths are not needed you can still have custom lengths of our RG6U cables made.  These are shielded and work well to preserve a nice black background in a magnetically active environment such as a rack full of equipment that could possibly create a noise problem with un-shielded cables.

POWER CORD

The Ultra despite its built-in power filtering via four voltage regulator tubes, will benefit from the use of a good power cord.  We recommend our DHC-1 high-current Silver / Teflon power cords plugged into a hospital-grade outlet or Leviton's new Surge Protection Receptacle (ACSR6).

I just bought a PS Audio Power Port Solo Premier for my main plugs behind my stereo. This Leviton is interesting, because it is much cheaper and appears easier to install.

I sm also interested in the new custom lengths of RG6U cable. Will these be available with the same RCA connectors as the current ICs? Are their properties different from the current ICs?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/11 at 22:06:25

Dang, that ACSR6 is hard to find in white/alabaster. Amazon has a bunch of other colors in stock, as do other vendors, so check there first, but if you want it in white, this is where I found it. One site claims it has been discontinued, with no replacement in sight. Seems odd that white would be discontinued.

Still, I am way more interested in the RG6U cables. Didn't see anything on the website yet, but what price will those be, what terminators will be available, and how will they compare to the Silver ICs?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 07/11/11 at 05:50:16

The cables are not on the site yet, but as soon as I get time they will be.

These are excellent quality cables well above average with nice warmth, excellent noise rejection, and good detail.  I find them very  musical, but not as detailed or refined as our silver DSR's.

The connectors are solder free and air tight and sturdy with gold plating.  Not as esoteric as our DSR connectors but still pretty nice.

I'm thinking we can make these for about $69 a pair plus $10 a meter for length, making a 1 meter pair cost $79 and a 10 meter pair for $169 so whatever you order will likely fall between those two figures.  This would be the rock bottom price - no further discounts available regardless of number ordered.

I use these all over my own shop and listening room.  They actually make a great reference, because if a cable sounds better than these then it's a pretty good cable.

Hopefully the owner's manual will give some more info on using the Zen Ultra.  I am trying to find time to do a video on setting it up and it's many uses.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 07/11/11 at 05:58:36

Thought I should probably comment on this.

What appeals to me after years of trouble shooting ground loop related hum problems that are caused by different potentials in the individual grounds between components is that this design has all the grounds and neutrals in a area only a couple inches large.  If you used the same power cords for every component it would be almost  impossible to have a ground loop.  Any time you hook multiple sources and multiple amplifiers up to a single component the potential for ground loops is pretty high.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/22/11 at 15:12:47

Steve:

The use of the 6-outlet Leviton makes sense. Turns out it really is discontinued in white. Three different places I placed orders all wrote back and said "product discontinued." I will forgo it for now, though. I will install my PS Audio Solo Premier PowerPort receptacle or whatever it is called in the wall this weekend. I have two Power Plant Premier AC regenerators I will use.

With respect to the RG6U cables, would you recommend them over the DSR due to their shielding. I will have a ZRACK or two full of an Oppo BDP player, the Ultra, two Toriis, and an 84ZS. They will be in close proximity obviously. I already have the DSRs on order, but should the RG6U be a consideration in that environment?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print