Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 20:16:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Integrate sub w/ Integrated SE34.2I / HDT's (Read 3477 times)
dwolek
Verified Member

Integrate sub w/ Integrated SE34.2I / HDT's
07/05/11 at 12:50:13

Hi  - A quick question about connecting a subwoofer to my SE34.2I / HDT setup.  I know I’ve seen the answer to this before but cannot find it in the archives.   There is some discussion in one of Steves papers about the WO sub, but I just finished the HDT’s and have to take a break from speaker building for a while.  I thought I saw that this can be done using the speaker level inputs/outputs (pic attached).  How is this accomplished?  I'm a slow learner, so the simplest method is preferable. Thanks so much.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Integrate sub w/ Integrated SE34.2I / HDT's
Reply #1 - 07/05/11 at 17:02:25

dwolek,

If you have a sub with both sets of inputs (speaker level,line level) just run a separate set of speaker wires to the speaker level input on the sub.

You could do this right off the speaker terminals from the amp to sub amp, or run a set of wires form the speaker terminals to the sub speaker input terminals.

I wouldn't however, run the wire from the integrated amp to the sub amp, and then run a set from the sub amp to your HDT's
zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
dwolek
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/05/11 at 18:23:57

Thanks Zygi - So just to be clear, run a set of wires (+ and -) from either speaker to the speaker level input on the sub.  The speaker level output on the sub goes to where?  I'm just a little confused by your last statement "I wouldn't however, run the wire from the integrated amp to the sub amp, and then run a set from the sub amp to your HDT's"  

Any sonic advantages/disadvantages to this route.

Thanks so much

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 07/06/11 at 00:50:08

dwolek,

So just to be clear, run a set of wires (+ and -) from either speaker to the speaker level input on the sub.

Yes, but you should have two sets of speaker level inputs, use both of them. One for each channel.

You need not connect the speaker level outputs to anything, they are there for your convenience.  Its alway better to go direct to the speakers (HDT's) than to go through the sub amp. If the amp is closer to the sub than the speakers are, wire it from the speaker terminals on the amp, if the speakers are closer, tap off the back of the speakers.

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 07/06/11 at 15:11:09

The L & R sub amp outputs are connected to the L & R sub amp inputs through 2 large capacitors.  This forms a 6 db/octave high pass filter at about 100 hz.  This will block the lowest frequencies from ever getting to your mains (HDT's).  This will substantially reduce the amount of work your mains have to do, and will prevent the mains from "fighting with" the sub at frequencies below 100 hz.  Some people prefer this (like me).  Other people prefer to run their mains direct (full range).  Your choice.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print