Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:29:03 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons (Read 100402 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
Reply #100 - 04/08/13 at 22:13:32

Yeah your setup is a little different than mine. I have my audio rack about two feet from the front wall with my TV on top, and the speakers about thirty inches in front of the rack, and my seat about five feet in front of them. Works really well in this room.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 04/09/13 at 17:43:06

Thanks Pale Rider.

PR said: Quote:
I am not sure I am prepared to boot my PWD/Lumin/Ultra combo for the DSPeaker, as one reviewer said, in part because it cannot handle all the hi-res I play, but I will say that its presence in the system is the single biggest improvement since I drank the Decware Kool-Aid.

That is impressive indeed. Another tribute to the power of room on a system as well as the amazing ability of the DSpeaker to fix that without sonic complaints. Says something for the trend of 2.2 systems too! Subs doing more than just beef up bass.

This is exciting. Sounds like the magical tool you needed to pull your sound into a more sublime state with little pain!

A few more questions if you get the time???

Where in the chain did you hook it up?

How did you hook it up?

You aren't using it presently as a DAC are you?

Can you hear it other than the EQ sorting it does?

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 04/09/13 at 19:17:49

will asked:
Quote:
A few more questions if you get the time???

Where in the chain did you hook it up?

The DSPeaker is currently hooked up just before the Ultra. It feeds channel 'B' and that channel then feeds the subs. Right now, the Lumin feeds the DSPeaker directly. I tried using Emotiva as a switch between the Lumin, PWD, and the 105, and it worked, but it sure put a lot of gain controls [analog and digital] in my signal path. So, for testing, I just used the Lumin. It also had the effect of removing my subs from my HT rig. Great for 2-channel, but not so hot for movies or BluRay audio through the 105.

That is all changing this week, because I realized that I have the perfect switching device for swapping the sub inputs directly between the home theater and the stereo—the Zektor. Each system has its own processor, the Emotiva for HT, and the DSPeaker for 2-channel. So, I will finish setting up the sub-switcher this week, and then I will have it all lined up. Although John Mingo of Baetis advised me last night the Baetis is about to ship out, so I will have a whole new problem, er, solution to insert into the system.

Quote:
How did you hook it up?

You mean, which connections? It's unbalanced analog. The DSPeaker has the ability to output both balanced and unbalanced at the same time, but there is nothing on the Decware side that can receive the balanced signal.

Quote:
You aren't using it presently as a DAC are you?

Nope.

Quote:
Can you hear it other than the EQ sorting it does?

Zero noise from the unit. No hum. And none of that "breathing" that hallmarked earlier DSP. Interestingly, the quality of the volume control in analog mode is excellent. I tried some low level listening, using the DSPeaker as a volume reducer, and the level of detail remained very engaging.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 04/10/13 at 04:52:01

Thanks Pale Rider.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 04/10/13 at 14:30:44

You bet will. I noticed some interesting changes over at the US retailer site for DSPeaker. They are now selling a nice looking PSU for the DSPeaker, and some interesting interconnects and a USB-over-Ethernet transceiver/cable combo. They are clearly marketing to the audiophanatic market now, as well they probably should, given the very enthusiastic reception and reviews they are getting. I rather wish that PSU had been available when I placed my order, but then, I don't hear any noise or "loss of black" from the device anyway.

If anyone is actually interested in one of these devices, and is using subs, I encourage them to consider the 8033 series of units as well. These are much less expensive, and deliver 95% of the functionality of the Anti-Mode. I almost went with an 8033S-II, but I decided I wanted the visual feedback of the Anti-Mode, and the flexibility it offered with full-range speakers, in case I separated out my system. I may yet buy an 8033 for my downstairs HT system, just because I am very, very impressed with what their electronics do for real bass. My family have also noticed that LFE is much more enjoyable with the DSP, because the effects no longer seem as bloated or exaggerated, and there is less of that LFE overhang—or is it "hangover"?—from the room interaction. As my daughter put it, the dinosaur stomps sound like stomps, not thunderstorms.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 04/10/13 at 19:02:38

PR

Sounds like the stuff for your system/room, and probably for many more rooms than we would like to admit.

In reading your posts I first thought you were running the DSpeaker only to the subs. Not sure if this is right or not, but if only the subs are running from it, the material is much less complex than if the processor were in the signal path of the whole output range.

Then when I read that you tried the DSpeaker for a volume adjustment and it worked well, I thought you may be running in the standard way...pre to sub, through sub crossover, to ERR...in which case you are running the entire signal through the DSpeaker.

This would equate more to my system since I only have full range HR-1s and would have to run everything through the DSpeaker unit. This is why I asked if you could hear it...not just for lack of noise, but for discernible impact on the more complex mid to high information. Any thoughts?

Finally, I noticed Tweekgeek also carries the DSpeaker line, and without a return fee if like new...they apparently have a waiting list on the Dual Core though.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 04/10/13 at 19:28:33

Yeah will, I am running the DSPeaker on the whole signal, not just subs, taking advantage of the way the Ultra outputs its signals. The signal goes in to the Ultra from the DSPeaker, so the full range is running through it. The DSPeaker is capable of automatic adjustments up through 500hz, and I am going to try that this weekend, as well as PE adjustments across the full range, and I am going to try some fiddling with that. The Absolute Sound review was very enthusiastic about those capabilities.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 04/12/13 at 15:18:43

This morning, while listening to some Emily Palen, both Creation and Glass, I have concluded that I am very, very happy with my speaker rig. I probably have a little more fine-tuning to do, with some modest room treatments to supplement the DSPeaker, but integrating the servo subs, getting the setup done so it properly meets the needs of home theater and music was a big step, and then running the calibrations of both was of course that much better [the Emotiva has a very nice program for the HT, more effective than the Audessey program, in my view]. Having something that sounds this good on Home Theater, and an incredible array of 2-channel music, is just amazing. Last night, listened to the following:

Roots The Seed
Groove Armada History
Cowboy Junkies Blue Moon
R-men Thought About You [DVD-A 192/24]
Piano In A Church [DVD-A 88.2/24]
Creedence Green River [SACD]
Fleetwood Mac Rumors [SACD]
Eagles Hotel California [SACD]
Verdi Mesa Requiem [2 versions SACD]

This is a broad range of music, and to have one system satisfyingly reproduce it at low levels and high—which is not to say this is the be-all-end-all, only that it works for me on a broad array—is fundamentally satisfying. I also watched Dark Knight Rises. The properly controlled LFE, and the directionality of audio effects, was just amazing. it is as if the ERRs are made for HT. Heightening the RF/LF speakers actually enhanced the movie experience.

I am sure the HR-1s are a better stand-alone speaker than the ERRs. I have corresponded enough with Bob, and listened to the impressions here, to believe that, without ever hearing them. And I have a gut confidence that you get at least 2x of what you pay for from Decware. But I have realized that I am unlikely to significantly improve what I already have. Time to enjoy it.

When I decided back in January to order the HR-1, I was down to the Teresonic Ingenium [3x the price] and the Ikonoklast3 [similar price]; both are locally made and so, easy to audition. At the end of the day, the combo of the ERRs, plus the servo subs designed specifically to mate with the ERRs, is already what I want and need. So, today, in the spirit of "this has made me stop searching," I canceled my HR-1 order. I hope to get to Decfest this year and maybe listen to them before I, perhaps inevitably, decide to order them again.
Grin

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 04/12/13 at 15:43:17

Sounds really exciting Greg! This seems sort of monumental. You have been progressively pulling together and refining this complex system for a while, and now, with your tower breakthrough and DSpeaker, it sounds like you have come to a solid satisfaction of completion and contentment! It has been an enjoyable and informative story, and I am sure it will continue, but to get the foundation where you have it now.... Congratulations!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 04/12/13 at 17:10:01

You know Greg, I personally can't definitively say my HR-1s are better speakers than my ERRs. They're different, but better? Can't say that. I totally love the unconventional sound of the ERRs and the HR-1 adds a conventional element to the sound that is not always better. I'm lucky that I have them both, but if I had to choose. . . I couldn't part with the ERRs.

Congrats on your decision and ENJOY!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #110 - 04/12/13 at 21:05:07

And coming from a little different sonic angle on things than Lon to me the HR-1s kick ass. Though an objective for me is the one system plays all thing also, it costs too much for some stuff...some lean and sorry recordings just don't get played much here. I should actually digitally remaster some of those!  

I don't find the HR-1 conventional...more just extra good representers of the very complex and subtle sounds of musical instruments and groups of players. The radial driver is beautifully and transparently integrated in this representation, but also a notable addition to the overall presentation. Sitting at my computer, at about 30 degrees diagonal from the closer speaker, it appears to me that I hear the radial splash of music more than that coming from the front drivers. From here, they sound more like round speakers than square ones.

The things that really impress me with these speakers is the way they pull subtle timbre, and the natural and complete ways they portray piano and drums in particular. But these same qualities are throughout. What a pleasure.

The players apparently have nothing to do with the speakers though, the HR-1s just looking like they are sitting idle.

Wink

This said, I can imagine that the ERRS are very, very nice, and having that adjustable tweeter must be very cool. I bet I would really like them!

I can say, I have no intelligibility problems with my DVD viewing. That would drive me nuts.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #111 - 04/12/13 at 21:42:38

will, with the ERR and the HR-1 side by side there are conventional elements that the HR-1 present that the ERR don't. That's just a fact that owning both for years has made evident to me.

I also got to listen to two sets of Maggie panel speakers last weekend and the HR-1 has aspects of these in its presentation that the ERR doesn't. Boy, after living with Bob's speakers I had zero interest in taking Maggies home--something I might not have said several decades ago.

It's not a bad thing at all to have that conventional element in there, but I just love the total radial sound without the front firing driver. AND the lower and adjustable tweeter angle. Just a bit more than I love the HR-1 setup.

IP Logged
davem
Verified Member

Reply #112 - 08/04/13 at 20:36:36

Very helpful discussion.  I am looking at ERR as I wait on my torii mkiii to be built.  I currently have a very old but enjoyable setup.  BW DM602 S2, ADCOM GF-545, NAD7225-PE, DA-160 BURSON, AQ ROCKEFELLER LC, ZU MISSION RCA (DAC), & WIREWORLD SOLSTICE III RCA (ADCOM).

Any Advice on ERR appreciated in my dedicated 11x12 listening room.

I am also experimenting with ZU MISSION & EVENT LC that I just received.

Thanks!

IP Logged
lLance
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 01/22/14 at 14:15:43

I am thinking about replacing my Polk LSiM M 703 speakers with the ERR radials. Has anyone heard both of these speakers? Would I be making a considerable improvement? I am powering with a Torii MK3. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ZMA, ZTpre, VPI Scout 1.1 & Soundsmith Zepher Cart, Janszen zA2.1 Speakers, PS Audio DSD, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio P10, Win 8 & J River app, Morrow Cables Triode Wire Labs #7 & Lessloss PC, voodoo AES
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 01/10/15 at 16:22:44

Thanks for this great discussion thread!
It convinced me to order some ERRs, I was on the fence between these and HR-1s but my current room is tiny (8x9) and I've tried my B&W 805 from my surround sound system, but no magic there. Hopefully the ERRs will sound great, they also get a new Torii MkIV to drive them  ;D.
Looking forward getting these unique and handmade pieces!

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #115 - 01/10/15 at 17:21:09

Awesome Stefan! i am pretty sure the combo will bowl you over.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 01/10/15 at 17:46:22

Yes, I have not heard the ERRs but the MKIV with the HR-1s are world class here.

IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 01/10/15 at 21:23:53

Thanks guys, once I have them I'll report how it does sound in my little room.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print