Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 10:08:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TABOO takes over the house (Read 12046 times)
skiroe

TABOO takes over the house
06/10/11 at 01:10:05

Its been about 4 or 5 years it seems since I sold my Zen mono's and of course it wasn't because they din't sound good.   I have been running through all kinds of amps.   Music Reference,,  Quicksliver,  custom built 2a3, and others.       Currently I have a Scott 7591 refurbed 208 and a Luxman M-02 s/s on the sidelines and a NAD integrated in the bedroom.   What has now taken center stage is a 3 month old Taboo that I picked up on Audiogon... And the person that bought it originally from Steve really should have gotten higher efficiency speakers but then I would not have had the opportunity to buy the best sounding amp I have ever heard to date.      ;D     Steve has certainly put all his years of experience into making this one incredible amp.  Love that over sized power tranny and that internal construction and the parts compliment AND  8-)  that white deck with the black case.  
Tube compliment at the moment:  

BENDIX  NOS  military   "missile tube"  6106  rectifier-- cost non factor.   Shocked  (someone may correct me if I am mistaken as I could have mixed up my tube lore trivia.)  

signal tube .. GE 5751  5 star *****   Tongue
pair of Siemens no label  el84's
Sweet indeed,, damn,, Im not kidding    :-*  

running now with Klipsch Fortes ii's w/Crites upgraded tweeter and I need to upgrade the crossover with the caps I got from him.  
I havnt even hooked the Taboo up to my MG 944's which are in the bedroom calling out for a union with the sweet heart in the front room.   Wink
I havnt even played vinyl yet that's how good this amp sounds  with only fm.   I do have a very  optimized tuner situation w/rooftop antenna,,etc. so I am getting a signal that is worthy of this amp.   And I am very lucky to be here in the bay area with some of the best fm in the country.  And with CD's  even better.  Whats gonna happen when I play vinyl?    ::)

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: TABOO takes over the house
Reply #1 - 06/10/11 at 01:44:04

Very nice skiroe, a fellow Taboo owner here by the bay! But you need to compare your EL84s with SV83s on the Hazen grid. Makes a big difference.

Cheers!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/11 at 02:08:31

Mine took over my office. I have my new TABOO in there with bookshelf speakers right in front of me. Using the 6P15P-EV tubes and the grid modification, you can really tell the difference. Mine has V-caps and dual variable inputs for 2 sources. Bye bye cheap Radio Shack switching box. I have had it since late last year and it just keeps getting better as that transformer mellows and sweetens over time.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
skiroe

Reply #3 - 06/11/11 at 16:56:39

V caps.  I had thought I possibly read on the site that those were standard in particular amps?  Is that correct?   Possibly someone may also have a suggestion re/uploading pics.   I have entered URL from 2 different photo sharing sites and am unable to upload pics.   The URL addy goes into the browse bar alright but no button to be found to upload..     Huh

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/11/11 at 17:11:59

As far as I know V-Caps are an option on several amps, but not "standard." I have no experience with V-Caps. They have been praised to near-high heaven. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/11 at 19:06:46

I don't believe V-caps are standard on any amp either. But they also are not offered on every item. I have them in my Taboo, and on order in my Toriis. In my Taboo, I assumed that their break-in, along with the transformer and tubes all contribute to the evolving sound.

@skiroe: I have been able to upload photos using the static URL from from a variety of sources, include .mac, Flickr, and of course Amazon and other sites. I have discovered that photo uploading from iPad works much more reliably than Safari on my Macs. Tha makes little sense to me, but it is repeatedly true. Example pic of the guts of my Taboo to illustrate, uploaded from Flickr, using my iPad:

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/11 at 19:53:16

Here's a better one where the V-caps are easier to see:

BTW, if for any reason, Steve and the team don't want these pics posted, I can take them down.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print