Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 20:25:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Donnie's first thoughts on his Decware system (Read 17985 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Donnie's first thoughts on his Decware system
04/15/11 at 00:17:46

I don't know if you all care about what I think, but I'll tell you anyway.
I got my MG944's on Monday and my Torii MK III on Wednesday so I don't have a bunch of time in front of them yet. I am still waiting for my ZDAC, so things will still be changing.
Ok, I'll start with the MG's first. I was unimpressed with them for the first hour or so then Boom, they really came on. Great bass, midrange that makes me go out on the street and grab someone just so they can listen to it and a very nice high end. The longer I run them the better they sound. They are so smooth, ground and lapped smooth.
The build quality is way beyond what could be expected at this price point. Being the type that I am, I checked all of the screws, everything was tight and the screws weren't marred up. That shows me that the details are watched, details are important to me. Anyone can get the big things right,it is the little things that make things truly great.
Just as I typed this, Ry Cooder hit a note that made my toes curl.
Nuff said about the MG's, keepers.
Zen Torii MKIII.
Holy sheep shit Batman! This is what I have been reading about for all of these years. The sound is so...... so... round, that it rolls around my head and smoothes out all of the rough edges on my brain! This must be what all of the junkies are chasing after. It is more addictive than a mixture of meth and video poker. I'd say that this combination sounds at least 214% better than my last system and I'm still running off of the analog output from my Wadia 170I.
So now you have read about my inital thoughts. I'll give you more of my ramblings when my DAC shows up.
I'm thinking about telling my boss that I sprained my spleen and will have to take the next week off just so I can spend more time with my music.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
toobhed
Ex Member

Re: Donnie's first thoughts on his Decware system
Reply #1 - 04/15/11 at 00:27:37

...and no doubt infinitely better for both body and spirit than meth and video poker....
Mario

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/15/11 at 02:35:13

Well, it's only going to get better, day by day.

I'm interested to see how the ZDAC stacks up against the Wadia. I really like mine, but I still prefer my Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player better for cd playback.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 04/16/11 at 23:45:23

I got to spend some time with my Torii and MG'S today.
The sound is still luscious, but I am finding out that as I get some more hours on them they are taking on a much more polished sound. I figure that this adventure is going to take quit a while to finish.
The only shortcoming of this combination I've noticed so far is that it doesn't play very loud.
I figured that the analog outputs on my Wadia 170I didn't put out much voltage so I swapped in my Onkyo DVD player and spun a few CD's. The results were better but still a little on the disappointing side. Before the Torii arived, I had ran the MG's off of my old Onkyo reciever and they literally shook my house.
So I'm hoping that when my ZDAC gets here, the output of it will push me over the top to where I want to be.  
Has anyone else ran this combination and had results like mine? Is there anything that I could have done wrong?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/17/11 at 00:29:57

Well, that's interesting. I don't have the same speakers, but my Torii Mk III will play much louder than I can or will want it to. I do believe the ZDAC-1 puts out a slightly hotter voltage than some sources, so here's hoping that it will bring the right volume level to your system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/17/11 at 05:51:41

Donnie,

I have the Torii and MG944s and though I use the ZSTAGE now in between the ZDAC1 and Torii, before I had the ZSTAGE I never turned the Torii to max while playing music. It hurt me to do that. And I thought I liked to play pretty loud but maybe you like it louder.....  Maybe you have a bigger room too....

For some reason, the way they mix down a lot of movie sound on DVDs I did on occasion turn the Torii up all the way with movies. But then as soon as it shifted from the movie to the music on the menu page at the end, it would kill me...way loud. I hate that.

I could not say if your DVD player is louder than the ZDAC or not, but guess they might be similar. The ZDAC is nicely dynamic though and may appear louder. According to the ZDAC page, the output is 1.8 volts.

Have fun.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/17/11 at 14:31:33

We do care what you think. There must be a way to boost the input voltage to enable higher volume.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/17/11 at 15:02:37

Donnie. I guess you have played with the output impedance switches? On my Torii, the back/away position is pushier and punchier.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 04/18/11 at 13:34:02

Donnie,

While volume is subjective from one person to another, the Torii-III should be abe to rock the house as well with the MG's  I had the same problem with my Torii-II that Lon now owns, my Torii-I with only 12 wats could rock the house while the T-II couldn't. When I sent it to Steve before Lon got it, what ever the problem was, he fixed it.

Again, my rocking the house, and your rocking the house could be two different things.

Does the amp do OK, then when you push the volume knob up just a bit more does it distort? Or are you turning it all the way up, its stil clean, just not loud enough?

Thanks for the kind words on build quality, we try our hardest!

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 04/18/11 at 23:24:13

I'm going to wait out my ZDAC before I get all worried about this.
To answer some of the questions: The volume has been WFO from almost the time I started it up. Two people can carry on a conversation across the room without having to raise their voices very much. I have flicked every switch and turned every knob without any huge change.
I'm still thinking that my input voltage is too low.
The main thing though is that the sound is just plain beautiful.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 04/19/11 at 00:51:23

The one thing that everyone should understand is that I am running my Torii off of the output from a Ipod. I don't think that the analog outputs from my Wadia boost the signal at all.
For right now I've just moved my chair from 8' out to 2.5' away fron the speakers. It sounds way better than anything that I have ever owned.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/19/11 at 00:52:48

I guess WFO is wide full open, or something to that effect? And all the EL34s are lit up??? That sounds too quiet all right. Glad it sounds beautiful though, and the ZDAC is on the same level once burned in. Looks like you are in for for lots of musical pleasure!

Good Luck.

Whoops, got the above posted before your last post about the ipod. No idea about that and the wadia.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/19/11 at 03:52:32

Okay, I have an iPod and Wadia iTransport in my bedroom system, and the sound is quite lower than any cd or dvd or Blu-Ray source I have used. The ZDAC should cure your problem I think. . . a CSP2 definitely would.

Edited to correct ZStage to ZDAC.  The ZStage would correct your problem, as will the ZDAC. I had erroneously thought you had the former on order.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 04/20/11 at 00:35:22

Will, Yep WFO= Wide Full Open or something like that, at least in this PG13 world. Sorry I'm using motorcycle racing slang. Old dog......
Right now I'm sitting 3 feet away from my MG's, Torii cranked up to the max, tubes glowing softly, Chris Whitley singing and playing and what looks like a tornado blowing past the house. Mostly good news I guess, the music sounds great and I'm still alive.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 04/21/11 at 23:07:18

I just got my ZDAC-1 and plugged it in between the Wadia 170I and my Torii.
I'm struggling to find the exact technical or expressive term to explain what I'm hearing. OK how about this,
It is Mutha' Friggin' Slammin'!
The volume that I was missing is there now and the sound is even better.
It is hard to believe that I am using a Ipod to run something that sounds this good. Later on tonight I am going to run some FLAC files out of my computer and see how that sounds.
I'm one happy camper right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/21/11 at 23:37:19

Great news Donnie! With your Wadia dock you're able to run straight digital files from the iPod to the ZDAC-1 though, right?  

Glad the volume discrepancy was cured by the ZDAC-1. Enjoy!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/22/11 at 01:25:03

Awesome! I bet the flac files will interesting, and if you are up for it, compare an error corrected Wav or AIFF file!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 04/22/11 at 04:25:06

Lon, Yep, the Wadia takes pure digital files off of my Ipod and runs them thru my ZDAC-1. I have over 12,000 songs on my 160 gig Ipod. I spent a lot of nights ripping CD's into it. But it is a nice way to carry a lot of music around.
Right now I'm streaming Pandora from a laptop thru the ZDAC into my Torii-3, Warren Zevon is singing and he sounds pretty good to me.
One thing that I have noticed is that the bass picked up considerably when I put the ZDAC in. I bet it has something to do with the input voltage going up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 04/22/11 at 12:51:13

Cool.  I only use my iPod in my bedroom system, to house cds that my girlfriend loves and wants to listen to that I don't yet own.  I store them in wav and they sound pretty damned good coming out of the iPod. The volume is lower than the Blu-Ray source I use also, but in the bedroom there's enough volume provided by the Torii.

I quit using iPod as a portable source. I don't have many opportunities, and prefer to just not have music when I might.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #19 - 04/24/11 at 17:44:22

The volume problem is fixed!
My wife complained about one of her Waterford crystal thingy's vibrating off of a table upstairs.
The sound gets better all of the time. One of the biggest things that I have noticed is that I'm not getting a headache after marathon sessions.
I've lost a lot of sleep this weekend, too busy trying out all of the options that I can use to play music. As the late great Warren Zevon said "I'll sleep when I'm dead."
My old backup laptop's hard drive shot craps last night so I stuck my new Dell in it's place, the Dell doesn't sound as good as my old Gateway. I'm going to have to get to the bottom of that problem soon. They are both outputting through Winamp, Confusing... I've been confused before, though it never stopped me from moving forward.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 04/24/11 at 17:50:48

So glad the volume problem is solved! Keep on explorin' and enjoyin'.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #21 - 04/28/11 at 01:20:32

First off, this Decware stuff is amazing me. I really didn't expect to be this happy with how great a stereo could sound.
I've been experimenting with speaker placement for the last few days and think that I have found what sounds good to me in my room.
I've set the MG's 80" apart from centerline to centerline, 34" out from the front wall. I'm suprised in how far that I toed them in, 12 degrees, that is 5-6 degrees more than I thought they would be. I'm sitting around 90" back, also further back than I figured, but I'm not going to argue with what works.
I must also comment on the ZDAC-1. It is the shit! It brought everything together and made my Torii sing. To be quite truthful, I really thought that I had spent $2500 on something that wasn't any louder than a frog fart. But when I plugged the ZDAC in it's place I found the balls that Steve touts the Torii to have. Big hairy buffalo balls!!
I'll have to figure out how to do the picture thing and post some photos soon. Perhaps some candid photo's from holiday, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print