Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:06:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii Bridged to Mono? (Read 9126 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Mini Torii Bridged to Mono?
06/04/11 at 16:31:40

I noticed this statement on the Mini Torii page:
Quote:
If you own speakers that you love and are afraid this may not drive them understand two things: A) It will drive them louder then you're expecting and B) you can bridge these amps into mono blocks.  Because of the power increase into lower ohms, you will net 6dB of additional power. Same thing as doubling your power... twice

When I looked at the owner's manual, which is a few years old, there was no reference to bridging into mono. In contrast, the SE84ZS manual specifically advises how to do so. Here is why it matters to me. The last component of my 2/5.1 rig will be the center channel, driving one or two ERRs. I know I could run one channel of the Mini with the other channel turned off, but this doesn't seem like a great investment. So, am curious if the statement above is an error or doesn't belong on the Mini Torii page, or if it is correct, and there is some way to harness the full power of the Mini into a single channel.

My front and rear channels are also ERRs, powered by two Torii Mk III amps. My guess is either the ZS or Mini could be a good tonal match, but tube olling could address differences anyway.

Additional consideration: although I don't yet know the price of a Zen Y-cable, or the alternative stereo-mono switch on the ZS, a fully tricked out ZS with V-caps is $600 less than a full rig Mini and $150 less than the stock Mini. Those numbers are not immaterial, because they would spent elsewhere, but they aren't deal-breakers either. Purely from an aesthetic perspective, I would prefer the look of the Mini in accompaniment to its bigger brothers. But the center channel carries a big load of information in Home Theater, so I want the right sonic choice.

I know, I know, call Steve, and I will. But any information or suggestions appreciated here. Thanks.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii Bridged to Mono?
Reply #1 - 06/04/11 at 23:41:29

I doubt you could bridge a Mini Torii into mono because it is really 2 mono amps in one chassis. You would bridge a stereo unit.  

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/11 at 23:58:38

That was exactly why I asked RR. Just didn't seem likely.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/11 at 18:17:10

Haven't heard back yet, but I went ahead and ordered the ZS, with the stereo/mono switch and essenial cables. I suspect it will do well with the ERR center channel.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/05/11 at 19:28:36

I think that should serve you well.

Probably Decware should drop all else they're doing for as long as it takes to fill all your orders at once. Wouldn't that be great?  And I mean, you're likely their biggest current customer, unless there's someone or two even bigger spenders who aren't posting on the forum. . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/11 at 19:39:43

Lon, I am a big believer in taking one's turn. No reason for anyone else to get delayed. No buying up, or sacrificing down. Not Kalifornian, but objectivist. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/05/11 at 20:10:09

I know. . . but still. . . Smiley Just sayin'. If you could get all your components at the same time to set up. Wow!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/11 at 21:05:28

Toxic valve shock!!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/22/11 at 01:50:45

Lon, for all practical purposes, that is exactly what happened. Everything arrived within a short span of each other. I am alternately playing movies, the Esoteric Rejuvenation disc (played twice per day), and music, probably 18 hours per day right now. I figured out how I am going to deploy my Taboo here with my headphones. In my house, sound really carries among all floors, so I need to be mindful of others. I very nearly set it all up on the bottom floor, but as I wrote about elsewhere, I truly did not want my listening to be segregated from the family, and I wanted the benefit of all that tube goodness in our main home theater venue. But the headphones will be useful for not disturbing others.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print