Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:05:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modified HDT Towers 4 sale (Read 15256 times)
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Modified HDT Towers 4 sale
05/11/11 at 15:10:37

HI Guys,

After several years of deliberation, I have decided to sell my HDT towers. I absolutely love the way they sound and the longer I listen to them, the better they get. Sadly they are taking up a bit more real estate than i would like to have in the room where I am using them They are also being used primarily for HT which is not what they are best at. They are awesome with music and are actually too good for HT. Consequently they haven't been used very much.

They are constructed from 3/4 furniture grade maple (13 ply I believe) and finished with a poly stain and clear coat. Not the best I have ever seen, but they aren't bad. The backs of the cabs are unfinished, but I still have some of the stain if you would like me to finish them. The drivers are wired in series resulting in about 9 ohms impedance total, but could be rewired to parallel if you need a lower load. The top driver is a Fostex FE126E and the bottom driver is the Silver Flute W20RC38-08 Wool cone.

I estimated shipping through UPS and UPS freight using Beverly Hills as the destination which came up to $187.50 for the pair. USPS won't handle it and the freight rates I got were higher. You may want to check into arranging shipping yourself depending on destination etc.

I would like to get $600 for the pair. Here are pics of the construction and finished product. I will be building a new set of grilles (inset) on friday as well.

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Modified HDT Towers 4 sale
Reply #1 - 05/11/11 at 15:38:29

Wow, M, those are beautiful and I bet they'd sound GREAT.

I'd buy them if I had a place for them, I've wanted to hear the sound of a well-seasoned HDT. But I have Radials in both my system (and one day hopefully a pair of ERRs as well, maybe one day!) and no place for these.

I'm sure someone here will snap them up. Great work my man!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 05/11/11 at 16:53:51

I wish I could convince my wife to let me trade these for a pair of ERR's but sadly I would have to spend another few grand to build my listening room to justify it  ;)

I may get my wish in the next year or two. I am hoping to build a few speakers for people to sell. Any requests will be gladly handled lol. I am getting better at this stuff.

For the record, my HDTs sound awesome even on my sandbox onkyo (much better on my little chip amp surprisingly) but the ERRs I have heard are still my favorite sound ever.

Thanks for the compliments buddy! That means a lot coming from you.

musgofasa   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/11/11 at 18:38:16

You're welcome. They really look great.

Good idea to build speakers. Hope you get some orders.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #4 - 05/11/11 at 22:22:50

LOL Had the thought of making clones of these. What do you think I could ask? Maybe $4,000,000.00>

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/gadgets/solid_gold_organic_harmony_speaker_adds_mu...

really I am not sure what I should start with. I have a few custom designs for Home theater and subs and I also have a few semi-High Efficiency stuff, but I would never want to compete with Steve and Bob on any level. Too much respect.

I have a pretty awesome set of Onken bookshelf speakers designed with no crossover and app 93db efficiency, but they are between sizes right now. Might make a terrific stand style tower......

musgofasa   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 05/12/11 at 00:27:39

What I would do, if you're serious about selling speakers, is decipher what the most popular to build and sell might be. . . . Subwoofers? Computer system speakers?  Bookshelf?

It's hard for me to tell, as I've no office to put computer system speakers or bookshelf speakers in, haven't ever dabbled in subwoofers (at one time I considred the Radial sub but thought better of it ultimately and got the IT Radials which solved my bass problem for the most part). Perhaps a survey or poll of members here might be in order? Or just studying all the posts and seeing what would be the biggest item talked about, hoped for, purchased. . . .

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 05/12/11 at 00:49:36

I want someone to build me these.
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/12/11 at 01:59:27

Not "Klein" (small) at ALL!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #8 - 05/12/11 at 12:53:57

Hey Donnie,

I can build em! I have thought about doing it myself for kicks. Won't be cheap though. That's a lot of wood! Heck, I think I even have plans for them somewhere around here. .....

If you did it though, I would suggest doing the whole thing as in this document complete with the El-Pipe-O for low end. Hard to believe you need a sub with a horn having a 50sq ft mouth lol.

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn2.pdf

musgofasa   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 05/12/11 at 23:28:16

musgofasa, The El-Pipe-O would be a must for my tastes! To make it all work I would need to either remove the celing / floor from my downstairs room to the upstairs family room or start digging. I'm not sure on how to break the news to my wife. I think it would take diamonds or a whole rack of those expensive purses she likes.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #10 - 05/12/11 at 23:38:54

Don't cut corners Donnie!

If you are building speakers this big, it is a must to build a separate room for listening to enjoy them the way they were intended. As a matter of fact, I might recommend a bunker using the earth as the outer boundary for support.

I also think it might be best to build two pairs of Imperial SO's and use Steve's broadcast system from the Zen Open Baffles to feed them.

As ridiculous as all that sounds, it would be a display worthy of a world class store to have something like that wouldn't it? I mean.....Prove you are insane and take sound seriously all at the same time?

I would definitely do the build if someone wanted it though. I would have to have a free pass to listen whenever I wanted though. .....For all others, I would charge admission....

musgofasa   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 05/13/11 at 00:00:35

musgofasa,
I don't know if I could slip a bunker past the local zoning board. And I think that I might also have to write myself a manifesto to go with owning a bunker.
I do like the thought of some kind of obsessive crazoid stereo system that there can be no excuse for. I'm sure that out there somewhere, someone is obsessing about if the line voltage from the power company is running +-.000125V. But life is too short, I'm just going to sit here with my Torii and MG's and listen to my music.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/11 at 04:51:41

Now Musgo the speakers you are thinking about making clones of kinda look like a dildo on a stand. One way of getting the gals to listen to the old system eh?

On a more serious note where would the speakers ship from?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #13 - 05/14/11 at 12:59:34

Spartanburg or Greenville SC

29607 or 29365

I will also deliver them within a couple of states if somebody is close enough.

That statement reminded me of the Howard Stern show with the girls sitting on the speaker......... Shocked Shocked Shocked

musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print