2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Re: Online Tube Vendors
Reply #1 - 04/13/11 at 23:31:11

hello,  it is not clear to me, following your link, which vendors you are asking about.  but i have for a number of years bought 6n1p ev and 6p15p ev tubes from vendors in lithuania, ukraine, and russia proper and have been highly pleased.  i assume that these tubes are ussr surplus and have been steeply discounted due to the fact that the ussr has been, fortunately, out of business.  these are the tubes used in my se 84c+ and my csp2.  have amassed an amount of tubes which i believe to be a lifetime supply.  would do so again in a heartbeat.  on ebay you may check the vendor's feedback record and choose the one which has the most outstanding record and buy accordingly.  don pettit, long beach, washington

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/14/11 at 02:59:26

Don, thanks for this advice. I have had good luck on eBay as well. But my link went to a very specific vendor: The Tubes Store, apparently in Russia.  At least, when I click on that link, that is where it takes me. Did it take you somewhere else? I was asking if anyone knew about that specific vendor.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
  IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/14/11 at 03:24:03

sorry,  missed that.  i stand corrected.  by buying from the folks i found that way i did get nos tubes at terrific prices.  good luck in your search, don

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/14/11 at 21:10:57

I am going to give these guys a try. I have had some good luck with tubes from Eastern Bloc sellers on eBay, but there are prices at this place that are too good to resist. Relatively low risk, it seems to me, so long as I keep an eye on personal data. But with prices like this:

------------------------------------------------------
8 x 6N1P-VI / 6DJ8 / ECC88 / 6922 tube (own box) () = $8.00
2 x 5C3S / 5U4G tube () = $13.00
8 x 6P15P-EV / EL83 / SV83 tube (own box) () = $22.40
8 x 6N1P-EV / 6DJ8 / ECC88 / 6922 tube (own box) () = $16.00
------------------------------------------------------
Tough not to at least see what shows up in the box!

IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/11 at 21:26:53

i do wish that i could recall the id s of the sellers that i dealt with.  not being much of a recordkeeper, sadly, i do not.  but i have found that the ones with 99.5% success or better are good sources.  as you know bulk buying reduces the price to joke levels.  bulgaria, ukraine, romania, poland, russia, and the baltic countries seem to have massive amounts of these tubes.  at one point i bought 10 tubes from a fellow and he, no joke, sent 10 extras .  when i asked why he said, "gift for you, sir!"  i got the feeling this was no scammer.  anyway, good luck, don

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/11 at 21:45:24

I have had similar experiences, and there is no question that user ratings on eBay are a critical filter. Will let the group know about my experience.

I think it is worth being clear on one thing, though. I think Steve's prices on quality tubes are very reasonable. I have a suspicion that the tube prices for "super" or "exotic" tubes from vendors here in the US may be in that final phase of diminishing returns. Having said that, it hasn't kept me from trying some pricey stuff. All in the fun.

Now, about that tube analyzer.......

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/15/11 at 06:12:54

I have picked up some tubes from "Russian" sellers and never had a problem. In fact, on one occasion the tubes arrived late, and the guy just sent me another set, and declined my offer to pay for the ones that arrived late!!!!

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/11 at 13:54:47

hard guy to deal with, huh?  ha ha, don

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print