Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 02:44:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY kit from decware compared to the Real thing... (Read 3851 times)
Eleveniseven
Verified Member

DIY kit from decware compared to the Real thing...
03/30/11 at 19:42:57

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me how the SE84C DIY kit from Decware, compared to the real thing? what are the major differences, besides having been hand built by their techs, and being point to point wired, instead of on a printed circuit?
I notice on the SE84 amp page it is listed as 2 watts, and 6watts bridged, where the kit is listed at 2 and 5....was that just a typo, or is there some difference between the two?
Smiley

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: DIY kit from decware compared to the Real thing...
Reply #1 - 03/30/11 at 22:28:35

The Zkit1 uses a pair of 1N4007 silicon diodes instead of a power rectifier tube (5U4?).  The result is a substantial cost savings and a higher B+ voltage as the silicon diodes drop 1 volt and the power rectifier tube drops about 50v.  The higher B+ for the Zkit1 can translate into more power out under the right conditions.  

A rectifier tube could be wired into a Zkit1 with a little work, as the 5 vac tap on the transformer is still there (unused) for the rectifier tube's  heater.  Conversely, a pair of 1N4007's could very easily replace the tube rectifier on "the real thing".

Dan

IP Logged
Eleveniseven
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/11 at 23:18:46

is there a preferred scenario there? if the power tap is available on the transformer, then including the rectifier tube shouldnt be much more expensive other than a tube, socket...and ??
or am i overlooking something substantial?
i was just curious, the articles state they are the same "circuit". which i understand does not equal the same components necessarily, and as you pointed out, and i didnt realize, not tube rectified.
i was never sure what the effect of tube rectification was over solid state, as far as sound goes. is there a noticeable effect? if more power is available the way the kit is designed, what are our advantages with the tube? other than of course being all tube. im just curious, thank you very much for the explanation. i do appreciate it
im not an engineer, so some of this may indeed go over my head, but i am an avid hobbyist, and i enjoy building my own stuff.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 03/31/11 at 01:50:33

The only advantage I could find was a slow turn on from the tube which would mean that the rest of the tubes don't get a full B+ until they are at least some what warmed up.  

I can't hear any difference, but my ears aren't all that "golden".  I think others claim to notice differences, even to go so far as to "tube roll" the rectifier tube.

On the down side, the tube is somewhat expensive, drops a considerable voltage, requires a 5 vac transformer tap, and seems to have a number of reliability problems (at least I've seen a lot of posts where the problem turns out to be the rectifier tube).

Just a side note:  on the amp I'm working on now, I replaced the 5U4 rectifier tube with two 1N4007 diodes to get a higher B+.  I'm using the freed up 5vac tap for the input tube heaters and leaving the output tube heaters on the 6.3 vac tap.

Dan

IP Logged
Aracely1
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/11 at 06:31:39

I can't hear any difference, but my ears aren't all that "golden".  I think others claim to notice differences, even to go so far as to "tube roll" the rectifier tube.

well, i have the same problem. Sad

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print