Send Topic Print
super tweeks! (Read 9007 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

super tweeks!
03/17/11 at 21:20:01

I would like to know what everyone's most obsessive tweek is.
Cleaning connections every week? Running 2 different types of interconnects because you can't decide wich one you like better?
Pointing all of you equipment north / south, because east / west doesn't sound as well?
I'm a mesurement freak, I like my speakers to be exactly the same distance from the front wall to the extent of using calipers to hold them within .005". Of course the wall isn't that close, but it makes me feel better.
This has nothing to do with sound, but I like all of the screws on my light switches and wall receptacles to be vertical, horizontal would just be crazy!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: super tweeks!
Reply #1 - 03/17/11 at 21:50:44

Your not alone, mine is that my speakers must be in an arc in front of me. I accomplish this with a tape measure and a nail or screw in the floor(I take it out after I'm done, and no, it can't be seen through the carpet). First, you take nail and drive it into the floor at the center point of your listening position. then you measure a given distance(mine is 83") to each speaker using the tape hooked on the nail at one end. As you move the tape from speaker to speaker, it scribes an arc. The speakers must be resting on the edge of this arc. This helps quite a bit with some speakers in terms of timing.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 03/17/11 at 22:20:34

My speaker stands are exactly the same heigth. How do I know this?
I took them into a temperture and humidity controled shop that I worked at, let them sit for 2 weeks to normalize, then strapped them into a $650,000 Fidia high speed machining center and milled them off to the same heighth. I spent half of a day doing this, it is a good thing that I didn't have to pay for it, the shop rate was $220 a hour.
Don't ask about my mailbox, I'll just say that if I had to pay for the machine time it took to make it, I wouldn't have been able to make the down payment of my house.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/11 at 02:42:44

If you really want to , try and google Peter Belt.  This guy is from a different planet.  My favorite of his 'suggestions' is to place a photo of yourself in the freezer!  And get this, if you take it out your audio system will never sound right again.  Of course my wife said the picture stuck to the gallon container of ice cream I did not like and threw them both out.  That is why I told her I had to buy the Torii III, the other amp did not sound right.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 03/26/11 at 19:42:25

Walt, You are right, Peter Belt is from the planet Tierra del Wacko!
I like his suggestion to pin up one corner of your curtains. But who am I to point fingers? You never know, he might be right. You might need to put a piece of blue paper under all of the vases in your house.
As I have stated before," Any technology that I don't understand must be magic". And magic is real, isn't it? Isn't that what we are trying to extract from our recordings, magic?

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/11 at 03:41:07

Belt sold some do-dad that looked like a bent up paper clip and you were supposed to take it and stick it in all the floor supporting joists and heat it up with a BIC lighter.  I hadn't heard about the curtains. I wonder if it make a difference which corner?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/27/11 at 12:49:27

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/11 at 21:22:57

You guys belong at audionervosa.com   Smiley

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/28/11 at 06:36:39

Donnie said:
"My speaker stands are exactly the same height. How do I know this?
I took them into a temperature and humidity controlled shop that I worked at, let them sit for 2 weeks to normalize, then strapped them into a $650,000 Fidia high speed machining center and milled them off to the same height. I spent half of a day doing this, it is a good thing that I didn't have to pay for it, the shop rate was $220 a hour."

Smiley I can't believe you didn't get fired for this!  You must have your boss in a headlock.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 03/28/11 at 23:27:52

I did it on a Sunday!
That shop had a very liberal attitude about employees using the equipment when a paying job wasn't running on it. Could be why the money ran out in '04.
I did make a really cool mailbox out of a solid chunk of stainless steel, I had around 40 hours in it, only one like it in the world!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/30/11 at 00:49:13

I see.
What the heck is this thing?

It looks like it may be a soldier listening for the approach of enemy airplanes in WWI.  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 03/30/11 at 02:09:51

That is my twin cousin Ronnie. He was hard of hearing ever since the "incident" with our pet wolverine. Uncle Pa made up some hearin' aids for him out of the fenders of a '49 Studebaker. The car was never right after that.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/11 at 14:29:04

Smiley Good, Good. He'll be alright now. He can go back to his Donny & Marie records with no worries.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print