Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 07:20:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jumping off into the deep end (Read 9069 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Jumping off into the deep end
03/01/11 at 00:15:12

Howdy all, I just jumped off into the dep end of the pool. I ordered myself a Zen Torii, a pair of MG 944's and a ZDAC-1.
I'm not really a "Golden Eared" listener, way too many years racing motorcycles and working in machine shops, but I sure do like listening to music. Anyway, wish me luck on this endeavor, I'm now waiting on my boxes of goodies to arrive.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Jumping off into the deep end
Reply #1 - 03/01/11 at 03:06:01

Donnie,

I don't think luck will have anything to do with it, just plain enjoyment is what you'll get. Cool

Thanks for the order.....

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/01/11 at 22:53:21

Hmmmm.  Nice deep end.  Once you get your gear setup and all, report back and let us know how you're finding the water.  Pics are MANDATORY!

Grin

Will this be your first experience with Decware? What kind of system are you coming from?  What kind of finish did you get on the MG944s?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 03/02/11 at 00:04:29

This is my first Decware experience. I was looking at some other equipment and discovered the website. I figured "what the hell" I could try out Decware's stuff, I only live a hour and a half away and if it didn't work I could always burn it in their parking lot. ( You will figure out that I am not to be taken too seriously)
I am getting the standard finish, I thought about Koa to match our floors but I need to stick to my budget.
My current stuff is just mid-fi, Onkyo, NHT. I've been reading and looking for quite a while and just decided to take a jump upmarket.
I was eating lunch yesterday, went on the website and saw the first come, first served coupon for $100 off and the rest is history.
The only thing that I am worried about now is if my new Decware system will sound better than my neighbor's Bose Wave Radio, the best sounding stereo in the world(As seen on TV)!

IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/11 at 00:54:35

Yes, the Bose Wave Radio is special.  I have one because I like the way it slowly ramps up the sound in the morning.  It doesn't jar me awake.

For music, it is unlistenable.  I don't know why.  I would rather listen to the cheap mono speaker in my computer than the Bose.  Something about the Bose sound really makes me grit my teeth.

One area I do like Bose is the user interface.  Everything is very easy to use, especially the remote.

That is one area I'd like to see Decware improve.  A great remote control would be very welcome, *IF* it doesn't degrade the sound.  The layout of Decware amps is unusual, with wires poking out of the top.  If you do a lot of cable changes, it's great.  If you want a neat, tucked away look, not so much.

I will choose sound quality over ergonomics, but I'd like both.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/02/11 at 00:59:18

Those Bose radio's will 'fill your whole house with music.'   What that means is you can hear it in the hallway when it is playing in the kitchen.
  I am waiting on my Torii also, my first Decware piece.
Walt

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 03/02/11 at 01:07:00

I'm hoping that I will be able to recreate the magical sound of my Panasonic 8 track player circa 1976. Hanging out down by the creek listening to Kiss or somethig else just as bad, having the time of my life. That is all I want. Take me away!

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/11 at 04:27:28

A friend sent me something he had seen on another forum:
Thread question:
"What are Some examples of full range speakers that have had many good reviews from just about all publications and owners?"

One of the responses:
"If you're buying wine by the label, Bose has, by far, had the most positive reviews in the last ten years. Enjoy your table radio."

A couple of days later he sent this e-mail:

I’m currently listening to my new Bose table radio AND, MAN, IS IT SOUNDING SUBLIME! Once I received it last week, the tube gear was quickly put up for sale!

I'm sure you will enjoy your new kit Donnie.

Lin
(an hour and a half west of Decware)

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #8 - 03/02/11 at 04:50:45

The Bo#e might just sound better IN the creek! Smiley
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/11 at 18:54:29

I am glad that coupon went to good use.  I saw it also. I am glad I am waiting until I go to Decfest this year or until I have a chance to visit Bob before making any new buying decisions, othewise had it been for the ERRs, I probably would have jumped on it.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 03/02/11 at 23:22:47

The $100 coupon got me off of my hands. Quite truthfully I was going to wait until this weekend to buy. I guess the coupon worked, I felt that I had to buy right then.
I had buyers remorse for about a hour, but now I am really stoked!
I don't like to wish my life away, but I want time to fly so I can get my new toys.

IP Logged
nubz69
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 03/03/11 at 07:06:25

Donnie you will not be disappointed.  If you are curious to hear a Decware Zen Select, CSP or parker 98's let me know.  I'm in the Chicago land area.  They are not currently setup but I wouldn't mind bringing out a piece or two by your way to take a listen.  Once I have a proper room setup I would be happy to demo the gear for anyone on this site.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 03/03/11 at 23:43:37

Nubz, Thanks for the offer, but I try to stay away from Chicago as much as possible, I don't know why all of those people want to live that close together.
I'm "downstate" as you all call us. Decatur area, you know Decatur, drive east out of Springfield until it stinks, that's Decatur.
My new thought of today is trying to figure out the first music to play on my new equipment. Do any of you have something that you like to listen to the first time when you add a new component? Mine used to be "Love Struck Baby" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, but somehow that doesn't seem right now. I'm on a big James Mcmurtry kick right now, maybe "Choctaw Bingo"?

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/03/11 at 23:54:35

nubz69,

If you decide to begin allowing people to audition gear at your home, I'd like to invite you to post over at the Owner's Audition List thread once you are ready.  I hope to see more Decware owners step up.  It's a good way to meet new people who share your interests in gear and music and it might help generate further interest in this forum.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print