Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 03:47:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Life after parker 98's? (Read 4518 times)
nubz69
Verified Member

Life after parker 98's?
02/14/11 at 02:15:44

So I have owned a Decware Zen Select and a pair of parker 98s for about 8 years.  About 4 of those years they were in storage while I was away at school or living someplace I did not have room for them.  Well now I have a place to setup my system again and what do I do a few months after setting up the gear?   I knock over one of my speakers.  the enclosures are still unfinished so that was not a big deal but I damaged one of the drivers. So now I am at a cross roads, I have been considering upgrading my speakers for a while but now I have an excuse.  I truly enjoy the parkers and think they are a great match to the Zen Select, I just want more now.  For those of you who have owned parker 98s, what did you replace them with?  If I were to point out any factors that I would like to see improved in my next pair of speakers, it would be a bit more detail and bass extension.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Re: Life after parker 98's?
Reply #1 - 02/14/11 at 02:42:36

I had Parker 95s and went to HDTs.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 02/14/11 at 02:55:51

Decide what it is you don't like about your present speakers, or where you feel they can be improved upon.
Once you clarify your objectives, it should help you make your choice!
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
nubz69
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/14/11 at 06:21:08

I guess I should say that when I upgrade something, I only spend the money when I am going to find a huge improvement.  I don't want to get rid of the parkers only to find that what I bought is just different, not better.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #4 - 02/17/11 at 19:52:04

Howdy nubz,

If you like the basic sound of the Parker 98s, I might suggest that you take a look at the new Troll Signature speakers :

http://www.parkeraudio.net/trolls.htm

http://www.parkeraudio.net/new%20troll.jpg

You will lose a little in the efficiency department, but gain a lot in the way of detail and the ability of the speakers to "disappear within the soundstage".

I have always preferred the 5 1/4" Parker Audio driver over the 6 1/2" driver that is used in the model 98.  To my ears, it's a lot more natural with more realistic detail ..... and the VERY high quality ribbon driver is the cat's keister, IMHO .....

The cabinets are absolutely beautiful ..... the photo on the Parker Audio website doesn't do them justice.

When you pair these speakers with an inexpensive plate amplifier and either one or two Parker Trogs or one or two Hawthorne Audio Augies, you have a full range system that will embarrass a lot of much more costly speakers.

I have run these speakers with a Decware Select amplifier and the combo sounds absolutely wonderful.

Take care,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
mryder
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/11 at 02:28:31

I understand that Parker Audio is transitioning all of their floorstand speakers to bookshelf (like the Troll Signatures).  Has anyone heard the '95's or '98's in their new form?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print