Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Art Dudley said ... (Read 3316 times)
chris_m
Verified Member

Art Dudley said ...
02/19/11 at 02:42:24

Hi all,
I rarely post but I’ve had thoughts on my mind lately.

RecentlyI was reading Art Dudley’s January contribution to Listening.  It may be that most folks dismiss columns like Listening.  I might also except these days Art Dudley happens to live in the very rural town I grew up in these days.  For some reason that meaningless fact motivates me to read his column upon occasion.  

Anyway, in his January column Art Dudley states that he “mostly eschews the use of room-treatment products” with the justification that  “ it isn't nearly enough for a speaker to insert within a new setting a recorded suggestion of instruments and voices energizing a room: It must be able to do that job itself”.  What an interesting notion.

This is a line of thought I have not considered before.  As an experiment I removed my Real Trap room treatments and compared the sound to them present.  I feel I could hear degradation of the imaging with the sound panels removed.  Perhaps Art’s statement applies if one treats their listening room to the extent it approximates an anechoic chamber.  

Just wondering what others think.  My personal experience does not seem to support the assertion so far.

Chris

Torii MkII, AN DAC, home built MLTL with Jordan JX92S
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Art Dudley said ...
Reply #1 - 02/19/11 at 04:13:37

Well theres the proof, Art Dudley is on crack. Maybe he thinks all rooms sound alike. Ask him if he would consider double blind testing. If someone says something strange enough and has a bevy of believers, someone is bound to believe him. I could go on, but my point is that I used to believe these people too, until they stated enough crap that I would have to be even more of an idiot to follow them. This is a real button for me. As always, trust your instincts more, not your fears.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 02/19/11 at 15:14:20

As an aside, if double-blind testing was employed, there'd be a whole lot of cable (& other) manufacturers scrambling!
Best, Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
chris_m
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/19/11 at 18:39:29

In general my ears are my guide.  Numerous times my expectations have been upended by what I heard.  Art Dudley's ideas on how speakers should energize a listening room interest me because it gives me some idea about what he looks for in his listening experience. I have slowly come to realize how different some peoples desires for their listening experience from my own.  

I have a friend who has a highly treated room.  He loves and attends live concerts.  His goal is to recreate that in his room to the degree he can.  I've been there.  I listened.  It it an interesting experience.  This setup is not the ultimate in imaging and sound stage.  It is a powerful experience however.  But it seems a reasonable trade-off.  Since, I have closed my eyes in various live concerts and know what?  There is no image information and sound stage at a large amplified event.  His setup does justice to his goal.

I on the other hand listen to a lot of live recording of jazz sets or studio recordings.  I've become very attracted to good imaging, detail, and soundstaging.  Looking back at changes I've made I see they were mostly all to improve those qualities though I didn't know it at the time.  I was simply responding to what sounded more pleasing to me at the time.  

I now understand better how different some peoples listening goals are from my own.  Art Dudley strives for his own particular listening goals supposedly.  How applicable they are to others in general is hard for me to grasp.  He obviously doesn't like a dead room.  Well, I don't either.  It takes a lot of watts to energize a dead room and that may be the undoing of a highly treated room.  Not that is should sound bad. I didn't think it was bad but it limits what your amplifier choices are.  I'm listening to a ZKIT1 on 89dB speakers as I'm writing this.  The sound is sweet.  The detail is great.  This couldn't be approached at all in my friends listening room.

Torii MkII, AN DAC, home built MLTL with Jordan JX92S
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print