Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:29:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another build begins !!! (Read 21707 times)
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Another build begins !!!
01/03/11 at 13:49:02

In the quest for better boom I have (after a couple of months) got all the pieces cut out to build eight half-wedge 10" sub-enclosures. I currently have four 10" HOs and four Mach 5 10"s doing little or nothing so I figured why not. I have had great success with this design and feel it will perform better than what I have now. Only time will tell. Let me know if you want more pics as this build progress.

HT-EXT

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/Half-Wedge%2010s/

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: Another build begins !!!
Reply #1 - 01/03/11 at 19:58:32

Great! And yes, more pictures as you go would be nice.
What will these be used for and why so many?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 01/03/11 at 20:14:15

I will be using them for HT. Why so many I am not sure. I have the subs just sitting from other projects and want to see if eight 10"s can compete with a quad-loaded HWK15. I am hoping to change all my LFE enclosures to the wedge type design and maybe end up with  better tuning capability. More pics will be coming soon and thanks for the reply.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/03/11 at 20:18:19

I would be very interested to read your comparison with the HWK15"
Do these wedge's go lower in frequency you think?
I mean for HT use, are these better for LFE?

Thanks,
B.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #4 - 01/05/11 at 11:51:26

The HWK15 original use was for large venues so to say one is better than the other is not really fair. I have two 18" wedges up front and the HWK15 behind me. The wedges pump out 108db to 110db@31Hz at about 200w per enclosure. This is not earth shaking bass but with these enclosures are almost 15ft away from the captain's chair. I am very impressed but this is right at the subs(18" Dayton Classic) limits if I had to guess.

As for the HWK15(modified) it sets only 7ft away from CC and will put out around 110db to 113db@40Hz with about 300w going to four Series II. I personally think there are better subwoofers for the HWK15 if you want to use it for LFE but that is just my two cents. My main problem is the HWK is a bandpass type design and overall size. When mixing it with sealed or ported designs they have a tendency to duke it out instead of all playing together for one big BOOM. Can it be tune to work with other designs? Yes, but it takes plenty of time and effort.

I am hoping after all the LFE enclosures are the same, tuning will be much easier and the fighting will be over with but who knows. Thanks again for the reply and keep on BOOMING !!!

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/05/11 at 18:29:35

No no, YOU keep on booming  ;)
I have to build something first to do so.  :D
Apart from the DB10, there is nothing else to punch out LFE's over here.
I must say I'm impressed at times with this little case, but that is because I'm not used to setups like yours.

Good luck with the build, I'm sure it will shake everything up.  :o

IP Logged
gildcm
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/05/11 at 23:09:39

I am interested in the comparison too. My HT is made up of 2 - 18" eletro-voice subs, each in its own Super Scooper being pushed by 3000 watts. The only comparison I can make is to put my Imperial (Decware dual 15" orginal spec) in their place. But my HT is not that big, the two super scoopers take up alot of room.

May the BOOM be with all of us!!!

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #7 - 01/06/11 at 16:20:57

I don't think one is better than the other but I try to use the postive/negative method.

HWK15              Half-Wedge

Performance          +                         +
Range (Hz)           +                         +
SPL                      +                         +
Size                     --                         +
Tunable                +                         --
Build Diff.             --                         +
Port Fart              --                         +
Sub ODrive         --/?                       +/--

These are just a few things to think about when building a subwoofer enclosure. I am sure I left some things out but does more plus/negative mean one is better or worse than the other. No! It is all about what you think is better for you and your set up.

Next problems is what size room, the quality of subwoofer used, amplification used, and last but not least is the source used to reproduce bass as accurately as possible. Alot of factors come into play when comparing designs but only one matters. The most important is hearing each enclosure in your own environment and let your ears decide which one is best for you. Just my two cents. Thanks for the replies.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/06/11 at 18:17:52

Nice list  8-) The only thing I don't understand is:
'Sub ODrive'. What does that mean?

You don't have to thank me for each reply, I'm equally pleased to get your reply and efforts. Smiley

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #9 - 01/06/11 at 19:56:32

Sub Odrive refers to overdriving the subwoofer or when one has reached the sub's excursion limit. The HWK gets a --/? due to the bandpass design. The subs are internal and it is difficult to determine just how hard you are pushing them. One of the ways to tell is a audible clang(ODrive) from the sub bottoming out. Due to the fact at these power levels things are very loud, you might not even here the noise until the damage is done. This is a problem with all BP enclosures not just the HWK.

The Wedge also has a weakness in this department. It is a seal enclosure but you can visually check to see how hard you are pushing it. Sealed enclosure will play loud but with the air from the back of the sub trapped, this can often cause distortion at high power levels, which pretty much goes hand in hand with over excursion. But remember these are my opinions from the experinces I have had thru many a build. Regardless of the negatives, I would still recommend either enclosure for HT or home audio.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/08/11 at 10:37:18

Comes to mind that maybe you could ad -sound quality- to your list, the wedge seems better for this taking in account your last post and explanation.
The house wrecker would be better for effects but only at certain frequencies. That's the problem with bandpass.

B.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #11 - 01/24/11 at 17:38:22

All of the sub baffles are done along with the basic frame ( top / sides ). As soon as I have the baffles glued in I will post some pics.

Some bandpass enclosure are one note wonders but the great thing about the HWK is the variety of sub configurations and ability to tune it to a desired frequency.

SQ? I guess you could say the combination of performance and range could be consider sound quality or SQ but some might say different.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #12 - 03/14/11 at 11:44:49

Finally some progress!!! Here are some more pics. About half done with just a little more sanding and then paint. Got my Datyon 1000w amp last week so maybe I will have enough power to push them.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/Half%20Wedge%20Mach%205%20MAW%20...

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/14/11 at 19:53:46

That's crazy, eight of them! Cool
Pictures of the speakers and the amp are welcome too!

Good work!
Thanks for posting.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #14 - 04/22/11 at 18:06:17

Sorry for the delay. Here are some pics of the finish product.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/HWK15%20AND%20HW10s/

Here are the pics of the amps. Sorry no speakers.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/THE%20JUICE/

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print