Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:52:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the rock and roll band dead? (Read 3345 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Is the rock and roll band dead?
12/12/10 at 21:36:09

I know I am old now and probably not in the demo of anyone that produces music for monetary consumption, but I've noticed that the rock and roll band is dead.  I've caught glimpses of what is around these days at the Grammy's and those kind of shows and the rock band concept is gone.  

A friend of mine says true rock and roll of today has gone underground where it was a long time ago.  Music of today is no longer music of the people but music chosen by corporations.

Either way, it may be generational but man, new music of today really lacks soul and character.  It has no life.  It is music to be seen and not to be heard.  The last two decades lacked a personality.  Music today is like the razor blade in my bathroom, disposable and only good for a couple of uses.

IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Re: Is the rock and roll band dead?
Reply #1 - 12/13/10 at 03:07:42

I'd argue Radiohead. Always changing, and even gave the option to purchase their last album for a penny. That pretty much takes the corporate aspect out of the equation. Other than them and a few other "mainstream" bands, you have many valid points. However I believe the true music has always been underground, what makes today easier to access this music is the technology to make it, and the Internet to distribute it.

When I first started recording music 15 years ago there were few options, record on a 4 track and hand out tapes (that nobody would listen to). Or go to the nearest recording studio and pay thousands for recording, mixing, mastering, pressing, then hand out cd's that nobody would listen to.

Nowadays for a thousand dollars you can get a computer, recording program, and make music and distribute it worldwide. Corporate companies are taking a beating and music for the masses is really starting to come around, and deservedly.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/13/10 at 12:09:23

I'd have to counter with Radiohead is not a new band.  Some of the old school bands are still cranking out some good music, but they have ceased being relevant.  Even U2's last effort didn't chart and they were probably the last band standing.

Think about it.  How many rock bands can you name that made their presence in the last 10 years?   You might say Kings Of Leon, but they don't really rock.   What else?   Today there is Glee and corporate groups like the Jonas Sisters.  There is a heavy metal station in town and they play lots of that kind of music by bands with names I've never heard of.  I guess where the rock band is these days.

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/13/10 at 14:11:15

I have to agree that both of you have the right idea. Most of any music we enjoy today from a rock band, are existing for the past 20 years.  I have to say the underground is the only way to roll. Problems will occur with having to sit through god awful shit in order to acquire a single band worth enjoying. It's like panning for gold, everyone can crank out their demos on the internet, pass them out at shows, and even put them on iTunes. With this in mind you will have to search for the small pieces of gold among the dirt.  

With that said I will make some recommendations based on my personal favorites from the past 10 years. In no order
Dillinger Escape Plan (Mouth of Ghosts, Milk Lizard, Weekend Sex Change)
36 Crazyfists (We Gave It Hell, Digging the Grave [Faith no more cover], Vast and Vague)
Boy Hits Car (Rebirth, Im a Cloud, Watch the Sun blank the Ocean)
Hellyeah (Alcohaulin' Ass, You Wouldn't Know)

Albums by bands I can listen to the whole thing.

Mudvayne (LD 50 album)
Incubus (S.C.I.E.N.C.E)
HedPE (HedPE)
Jimmie's Chicken Shack (Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope)
Lostprophets (Fake Sound Of Progress)

Any album produced by Ross Robinson.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print