Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 03:25:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Everyday I have the blues... (Read 17053 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Everyday I have the blues...
11/07/10 at 00:13:15

This is a great cover by John Mayer.  I love the way he did it his own way.  He sounds like SRV with a Hendrix bent on a B.B. King classic.  It isn't bad at all.

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Re: Everyday I have the blues...
Reply #1 - 11/09/10 at 01:19:09

WOW!  I had no idea about John Mayer.  thanks

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/14/10 at 00:00:00

I have more respect for John Mayer daily.  Listen to this.  Some nice blues.  I've been into Joe Bonamassa the past few years but I have to say that John Mayer's vocals have a bluesier tone than do Joe's.  Again, listen to this strat.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/10 at 17:52:21

The more I research this guy, the more I am impressed.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/28/10 at 19:44:56

I've been impressed by his guitar work ever since he first recorded.

But the guy is a real jerk imo. And I'm not that crazy about the style of songwriting and performing he's a part of.  I've never bought any of his releases.  In my opinion John is still just playing Jimi stuff, I haven't heard him really come into his own.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/28/10 at 19:47:37

Here's a guitarist I like a lot more. . . Bobby Broom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbpX17N6sY

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/29/10 at 00:56:47

John Mayer is a jerk, but music history is loaded with jerks.  I just like the way he plays.  And just about every guitar player out there has a hint of Jimi or B.B. in them.  It will be tough for a present day blues player not to have it in them, especially if they choose to play a Strat.

By the way, I like the bass player in that Bobby Broom clip.  I've always enjoyed good upright bass players of many styles.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/29/10 at 01:14:10

There's more than a HINT of Jimi in John's playing, writing and sound.  Lots.  I just wish he would change musical shoes a bit.  There's so much for me to listen to, I don't put myself in front of his stuff.

Yes, that bassist is very very good.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/29/10 at 02:51:26

I've always got my ear out for something new in terms of blues.  This is Back Door Slam, an English power trio that's more in the vein of Cream.  They seem to have dissolved since their debut.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/01/10 at 04:37:05

best $1.00 ive spent in some time

track 4.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/projectm

hi lon   Cheesy

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 12/01/10 at 14:45:39

I like Mayer too. I don't have a problem with him chasing skirts when your in your 20's early 30's unmarried, although the diss on Jessica Simpson was uncalled for.

Yea, I dig up blues where ever I can find it. Thanks guys for these couple. Currently, I am listening to Jeff Golub - Blues for you. He has some nice guests on it Peter Wolf, Billy Squire, Marc Cohn and John Waite. I love Jeff's guitar playing and he is adept at acoustic guitar too.

Of course this disc sounds wonderful with my Select, but I also enjoy with my 200 watt mono blocks-when I really want to get my Ya Ya's out......... .

http://www.jeffgolub.com/

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/02/10 at 01:07:20

Jeff Golub, huh?  Never heard of him but I like what I found on YOUTUBE.  Thanks for the reference.  So far I dig what I've heard.   Here is another guy, Sean Costello.  He passed away but he left some nice music behind.

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/03/10 at 21:08:11

After listining to more John Mayer I think he is more a Stevie Ray mimic than Jimi Hendrix.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/04/10 at 02:10:45

rmt, I tend to agree, especially JM's vocals.   As it is, SRV is said to mimic Jimi...so, in essence, lots of blues players from recent years, especially strat players, have that sound.  

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/05/10 at 01:40:16

Hey, stone, I was thinking of your comment today:

"I like Mayer too. I don't have a problem with him chasing skirts when your in your 20's early 30's unmarried, although the diss on Jessica Simpson was uncalled for."

If you think about it, rock and roll and the blues are all about chasing skirts and some guys are in their 70s, Mick Jagger, cough, and are still chasing skirts.  Jessica Simpson gets what she deserves.  You put your face out there and you are going to get it slapped.  That's just what I think.  Today's cookies and cream stars like that Bieber kid and the Jonas Sisters are too squeeky clean for me.  They lack that raw thing this is blues, rock, jazz and you name it.  

Wasn't Mozart a skirt chaser, too?

Here is another nice blue's clip with Joe Bonamassa and Eric C at the Royal Albert Hall.  I have the DVD and CD and this song sounds great cranked up high.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 12/05/10 at 18:05:46

I listened to some heavy, almost evil blues today, early stuff, including a lot of Blind Willie Johnson. Man that guy can scare me in several ways.

I know it shouldn't, but sometimes the way a musician acts reflects on the music to me. I read the Rolling Stone article with John and I couldn't see him perform or hear his music quite the same way again. I just really have a deep respect for women and I don't think John does. That's all I'll say. ... It has made me not as ardent for his blues.

And I think his songwriting structure and an awful lot of his "pose" is very Jimi influenced, in a quasi-calculated way.  I think he could do more, move into a more original, authentic John in playing and writing. Maybe one without a reversed headstock. Smiley

Match, have you heard much T-Bone Walker?  Say the Black & White or Imperial recordings?  An amazing singer, and one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/05/10 at 19:07:32

Lon said, "Match, have you heard much T-Bone Walker?  Say the Black & White or Imperial recordings?  An amazing singer, and one of the most influential blues guitarists of all time."

I've learned so many different versions of Stormy Monday that I have no idea what is what; however, I am sad to say I own nothing by T-Bone Walker.  that is sad.  I will pick up some of his stuff for Xmas.

Here's a guy with blues that scares me.  There is nothing like this anymore.  Eric Clapton did a tribute album for Robert Johnson but I think he sanitized the sound and lost the edge on RJ's music.  That's about as close as anyone, I think, has tried to get.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 12/05/10 at 19:52:35

This two cd set, long out of print, is usually found easily for five to ten bucks and is defiinitely worth the coin.

I actually prefer the Black&White recordings, but they're hard to find cheap.  I haven't looked to see if they're downloadable places, probably are. They swing a bit more in a jazzy way than the Imperials, which rock a bit harder. . . .

Either way this is where to start, with T-Bone in the forties and fifties. In some ways I think there would be no B.B. King if there had been no Aaron Thibedaux Walker.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #18 - 12/12/10 at 13:37:23

Matchstikman reply #14, thank goodness for real musicians and singer song writers. The manufactured shlock of Boy Beiber and the Jonas Sisters through those voice synth's is so laughable! Thanks for this other Artist/musician you posted.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 12/12/10 at 13:44:15

Lon, I think Jon M. has potential for his playing and writing and really moving me down the road, say, 10 to 15 more years of life's maturity and musician growing accumulation. I agree, he needs to respect women too. The airing of the Simpson stuff was, come on John?

Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 12/12/10 at 13:53:23

I do appreciate the total class of Eric Johnson. Chops off the charts too, to say the least.

Stone
http://www.ericjohnson.com/

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063