Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:14:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK 18" 'final touches' top port size!? (Read 707 times)
kaney16
Ex Member

HWK 18" 'final touches' top port size!?
11/12/10 at 08:28:16

righto so u times all dimensions of the HWK 15" by 1.2 to upscale for HWK18" in doing that you get a 180mm hole for the top port, can you buy pvc to suit a hole that big? 150mm is sewer pipe size so its a damn big hole. anyone who has built the HWK 18 what did you do for the top port!? and are you happy with the results...

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: HWK 18" 'final touches' top port size!?
Reply #1 - 12/27/10 at 18:15:19

I have look all around for an alternative but it looks like the sewer pipe(PVC) is the only round way to go. I have heared of people using square ports and also slotted ports. I myself have never built the HWK18 but have always wanted to. My HWK15 is hard enough to move around, I would hate to think what the bigger beast might weight. If you need more info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
kaney16
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/11 at 01:51:22

well its proven quite hard to get a sewer pipe the correct size for my top port. SO.. anyyone able to help me with an alterntate porting option for the HWK18 that would be great!

and yes the HWK18 is a bitch to move, weighing in at 150kg and standing almost as tall as me haha. but god do i love her

IP Logged
NoSmoking
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/11 at 15:35:43

hi all, Kiss
Newbie to this site but looks fun so far !!!
Built a hwk 18(peavey low rider ) scaled it up to 24" box and the rest is the same as a 15"
A couple of questions I need some help with???

I got some "motor" noise in this sub sounds like a engine at Idle when I was breaking them in with a gen @ 100hz and a 100 watt amp,I beat the box with a hammer and it doesn't make any rattles or such,any Ideas?...did anyone who has built a hwk 18 homewrecker used insulation and did they use the first position to mount the speaker? port sizes? how much wattage used....Thanks Roll Eyes

IP Logged
kaney16
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/11 at 09:00:37

i built the HWK 18, used no insulation. both my speakers are firing upwards. my top port has a diameter of 180mm lower ports with dameter of 120mm. box is fully sealed with "no gaps" silicone stuff and top and bottom lid have foam between them and the rest of the box. mine sounds incredible!
yet to have the top port tuned tho as i cant get 180mm pipe! if someone on the forum has made one with a slotted port that will do the same tuning as the port shown on the plan please let me know

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 08/10/11 at 12:12:19

Kaney16 if you can PM me the dims of the enclosure I will try to use WinIsd to get close.

1st >>>  H x W x D (Overall)
2nd>>>  top chamber H x W x D
3rd>>>  middle chamber H x W x D
4th>>>  bottom chamber H x W x D
5th>>>  thickness of material used (3/4 mdf ???)

Here is what my HWK15 looks like with a slot port. I can remove the slot port and return it to original if I want a change.

http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/gg367/HT-EXT/HWK15%20AND%20HW10s/

No Smoking are you sure it is motor noise or maybe it is port fart. I would think at that low power neither problem should be occurring but 18" does move alot of air. My guess would be either top or bottom is leaking a little but I am just guessing. You can use a piece of paper laid across any gaps to see if you have a leak. I sometimes use a lighter around the edges to check for leaks but don't set it on fire.

Just my two cents hope it helps.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #6 - 08/11/11 at 02:27:10

180 mm = 7" for those of us who still can't visualize the metric system.  If you go from 1 port to 2 ports and keep the area of the port(s) the same, the port length(s) will be the same.  A 7" diameter port will have an area of (3.5)(3.5)pi sq in = 12.25 pi sq in at some length (that you presumably know).  If you make the area half and use two ports of the same length you should get the same result.  6.125 pi sq in would be very close to a 5" diameter port ((2.5)(2.5)pi sq in = 6.25).  So, use two 5" diameter ports to do the same thing as one 7" diameter port.

That said, I had a friend who built a 18" HW and that one sounded better with the top off.  Go figure.  He has since moved on to folded horns.

DAn

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print