Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:42:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Better speaker for the mini torii? (Read 12749 times)
bhfsim
Verified Member

Better speaker for the mini torii?
11/09/10 at 05:28:46

More questions than I wish to ask, thank you ahead of time for the patience.

I have an opportunity to buy a klipschorn speaker, or a klipsch Cornwall. Which would pair better with the mini? They have a 104db, and 98.5db watt at 8 ohms respectively. On paper I know the Cornwall matches better, but hopefully someone has some ideas as to what to do.

Thanks again

IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Re: Better speaker for the mini torii?
Reply #1 - 11/09/10 at 07:22:18

Hi,
If you're looking at a pair of klipschorns, and have the corners to fit them in, I'd say go for the klipschorns! when placed properly (in a corner, with their rear section snugly fit into it), these beauties go down to 17hz! I've heard klipschorns with tube gear, and it's like a match made in heaven.
The cornwalls on the other hand are easier to place since they are less room dependent, but bear in mind that they have a dip in the 300-600hz region, and have a nasty impedance spike around 60-80hz.
Pros and cons in a nutshell.
Remember, whichever you buy, do not hesitate to go over the crossover networks and freshen them up a bit (starting with the caps), it's a quasi mandatory thing with older klipsch gear.
My 2 cents.
Regards
Nick

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/09/10 at 17:51:55

I thought that the specs for the RF-63 were pretty tight.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/09/10 at 19:31:00

The RF-63 is a great speaker for its class, and very less room-dependent than the Klipschorn, but IMHO they don't come close to providing the pinpoint accuracy and imaging the Klipsch Heritage line of speakers are capable of, mainly due to the fact that the RF-63 has it's woofers crossed at 1700Hz with the horn, and at 1700Hz you get a ton of audio (vocals, many instruments, etc...), adding to the fact that these woofers (3 of them) are spanning some 24 inches, you can see how a lot of the pinpoint accuracy is lost (and that's without mentioning the tweeter horn that sits another 7-8inches above the top woofer).
Compare that to a Klipschorn that has its low frequency horn crossed at 450Hz, while the mid and tweeter sit right on top of it, and you get a pretty solid case in favor of the klipschorn.

Now this could go on for pages should we note all the pros and cons of each, but that's it in a nutshell (and of course, as you might have noticed, i'm slightly biased towards an all horns setup Smiley )
Regards
Nick

IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/10/10 at 05:52:53

Hajj, I have to thank you. I picked the speakers up tonight and they sound amazing. I'm listening to McCoy Tyner Reevaluation, and am hearing things I've never heard in these songs; and I am very familiar with them.

My amp shipped today, and can't wait to hear the difference. As for now they're playing through an old low end pioneer receiver; which is pretty loud between songs. I'm psyched!

Thanks again.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/10/10 at 11:40:17

The Cornwalls or the Klipschorns?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/10/10 at 16:29:23

Klipschorns, can't believe I didn't state that! Haha. Still listening to them, and am amazed.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/10 at 00:12:23

As Steve Deckert once said, "the amp will make Klipsch sound better than they are." or something similar to that.

55   IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/12/10 at 02:33:16

Just received my mini today. My place flooded slightly from insanely high tides. So I didn't get to try it out until a few hours ago. All I can say is at first I was impressed, but as the tubes warmed up so did the sound; in a huge way. My brother and I are going song for song and we have a 2 way tie between Stevie Wonder "too high", and Al Stewart "Year of the cat"... Not even an al Stewart fan but what Alan parsons did to that song is amazing.

Thanks again everyone!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/12/10 at 02:57:25

It takes 20 minutes for the OC2 tube regulation to warm up to full potential. Also the unit is in burn in status and will get even better and stronger sounding with time.

55   IP Logged
bhfsim
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 11/12/10 at 04:13:23

That's amazing. Can't believe these can get better, but can't wait!

Do you think headphones could be connected to the line out rca jacks, or strictly through the binding posts? If it's through the posts, I'd have to get a 4 into 1 jack right? Just a bit confused. I should've gotten the headphone jacks with the on/off speaker switch. Baaaaaa

IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/12/10 at 07:46:57

Congratulations on your acquisitions.
How about you post some pics of your setup?
Klipschorns are always great to see in a system.
btw, make sure they fit snugly into the corners, huge difference between snug fit and a 1 inch space btw...
What model are they? what crossover type?
Ok, enough questions for now.
Congrats again.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 11/13/10 at 15:01:52

if its not too late, let me say that i have owned both cornwalls and khorns. there is no doubt in my mind....khorns every time. i used to call the others cornballs

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print