04/26/24 at 19:19:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK build so far (Read 6897 times)
DJ Watty
Ex Member

HWK build so far
10/21/10 at 03:12:59

I had enough scrap wood kicking around to cut all the parts for one  ;)
Now if I can figure out where best to put my jack plate and how to load my drivers.......  

IP Logged
DJ Watty
Ex Member

More recycled parts
Reply #1 - 10/21/10 at 14:03:10

So far I have spent $0 on materials.  Her is my idea for the 6" speaker port.  6" PVC Sewer Pipe and a 6" Storm Drain Cover.  On the cover I also had a flush mount cover but I was thinking maybe the high hat cover would give lest turbluance.  I will be removing the circular grates on the top of it just leaving an X and on the sides I will remove every other grate and then round over the remaining ones from the inside with a dremal to try and reduce turbulance.
Any thoughts?

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Re: HWK build so far
Reply #2 - 10/21/10 at 21:34:01

While I have had a HW15 with 4 15" woofers, I think you should be fine with the two drivers you have. I would set them up with the clam shell alignment. Mount the top driver to the top of the baffle pointing down, and the bottom driver on the bottom baffle pointing up. Also I would drill holes through the baffles and use bolts and nuts to mount them. I personally have found keeping the top port open is a plus if you need to stash something quickly without anyone ever thinking of looking there. Maybe the sewer grill could be removed? It would make it easier to move around when your going from gig to gig. Either way you will be pleased with your end results. The bottom ports make for great handles when moving it around.  ;)

WWW   IP Logged
DJ Watty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/21/10 at 21:46:50

Thanks for the input  :)  The cover will be removable.  I had an experiance where I sent one of my Mackie cabs in for service because it started making horible noise in the middle of one gig.  I had gone to the bathroom and come back to my speaker sounding like something had blown.  Not wanting to void warranty I took it to the shop where I bought it.  Someone had stuck a small pot pipe in one of the ports!!!  Have that six inch port on the top is begging to have some idiot drop a bottle of beer in it.  That is why I am hoping to be able to cover it.  Going to try it with and with out the cover.  Right now I am getting ready to heat that pipe with a heat gun and try and flare the other end

IP Logged
kaney16
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/22/10 at 14:05:55

love the idea of the cover on it, people are always gunna sit there grog on the box and if it goes in the top port its all over so my plan was to build legs on the top and flip the box so the top port shoots into the ground, the cover may be another option too

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print