Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 22:36:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CCE mod on SE34-I (first gen) question (Read 5024 times)
Hajj
Ex Member

CCE mod on SE34-I (first gen) question
10/20/10 at 08:42:46

I opened up my SE34-I yesterday to carry the CCE mod on it.
Soldering iron, ready
Caps, ready

Just to be on the safe side, I read the posts again on the forum concerning the mod, and, as mentioned by ZYGI in one of the posts, the cap should go between pins 1 and 8.
But then I read a post made by Steve, stating that for the mod to work on the SE34-I.2 (the second gen SE34 integrated) there's a 1K resistor connecting pins 1 and 3 that needs to be removed first.
Looking at my amp, it seems that the SE34-I has that same resistor across pins 1 and 3 on the outer tubes (the ones wired in triode).
So my question is, should that resistor also be removed from the SE34-I, just like on the SE34-I.2 in order for the mod to work?
I read 4Krow did the mod on his SE34-I.
Below is a pic showing the actual internals as well as notes about the resistor and pins
Any input is more than welcome.
Thanks
Nick

SE34-I_CCE_mod.jpg
  IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Re: CCE mod on SE34-I (first gen) question
Reply #1 - 10/22/10 at 09:02:38

Ok, my impatience got the better of me.
Not sure how to proceed for the outer tubes, I went and added the caps to the inner tubes (between pins 1 & 8).
Turned the amp on, played my favorite Diana Krall song, and......
OUCH!!!
The sound is distorted! horribly so! as if the tubes are overdriven.
Sad
Help!

Someone?
Anyone?
Cry

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 10/26/10 at 03:01:40

Hajj, There are major differences between the first and second generations of this amp, so removing the resistor is not something that I did on my amp. And, as for the distortion, check the gain setting on the amp, as this will have a direct effect on the tubes being overdriven. I found that i had to lower the volume on my amp. Then as I wasn't satisfied with the outcome, I purchased a Nakamichi preamp so that I could have more control over the Decware amp.  It worked very well, and I am still using it that way.  Hope this helps.....Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/26/10 at 11:25:26

Thanks Greg!
I'll report back as soon as i add the caps, hopefully with pictures.
Regards.
Nick

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/10 at 01:38:48

On the first generation se34 does each of the power tube bases get a capacitor, 4 in total or just two of them?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 10/29/10 at 01:08:05

I added one capacitor for each tube, for a total of four. Each tube in this amp can be used alone or as a couple for the output. Either way, I thought that each tube should be modded.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print