03/29/24 at 11:11:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK15 build (Read 12952 times)
bryan.maxedon
Ex Member

HWK15 build
09/21/10 at 07:26:53

I bought the plans online and had a question.  The X4 baffles for the sub to mount only has one measurement.  Could someone email/pm me the correct dimensions?  Also here is the sub I am using:   Dayton DVC385-88 15" DVC Series Subwoofer

Should I stick with the 6x8 in pvc on top?  And what if anything should I stick in the 2 bottom holes?  I want to run the sub on the bottom with the magnet facing down (the red diagram from the HWK page)  
Thanks

IP Logged
bryan.maxedon
Ex Member

Re: HWK15 build
Reply #1 - 09/22/10 at 03:22:22

no responses that sucks.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #2 - 09/22/10 at 12:03:29

I looked at the plans and if you notice the panel(Panel B x 1) to the right of the sub baffle is the same but with no hole for the sub. The baffles are pretty much square so the measurements should be the same.

As for the bottom ports you will need nothing. You might want to round off the inside and outside edges of each port to reduce turbulence(aka. port fart).

I have used this with good success(top port)but it is a little shorter than the original length that is suggested.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-401

If you go back thru the HWK post you will find some people modded the original design. I know, I am one of them. I would build it to specs first then if you are not happy you can change it to the way you like. Just my two cents. Let me know if you need more info.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 09/22/10 at 13:19:15

The measurements are the same.

The 2 ports at the bottom are 4" dia. by 3/4" long. The thickness of the panel is the length of the port. Nothing is needed there.

The top port could also be made square, building it out of left over MDF. It would be a 5-5/16 sq by 8" long. (inside dimension)

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/10 at 02:40:36

I made the upper port square on the one I built for two eight inch drivers that I hid behind a dresser in the bedroom for a while.

I also laid that enclosure down with the  "upper" (single, larger) port facing into a corner.

It definitely had some deep, rich slam to it.

IP Logged
bryan.maxedon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/24/10 at 04:15:30

Thanks guys, what position should I run the sub in?  Also will this work?  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-354

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 09/24/10 at 14:03:07

That port should work. The top and bottom should be detachable. This will allow you to place the sub in different set ups until you find the one you like best. Since you will be using only one sub I would put it in the bottom pointed up and prolly used the top port at its full length ( 6" x 17" ). Just my opinion, I am sure others might do it a little different.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 09/24/10 at 16:43:26

That port will work nicely. But do keep it at the 8" mark. It woun't hurt to experiment with the longer port like HT-EXT suggested but you would have both the front and top ports essentially tunded to the same freq. It could make it just a bit muddy sounding. The top port is tuned to around 45 hrtz  which is that "feel it in your chest bass".  

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
bryan.maxedon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/26/10 at 08:07:12

When you say pointed up do you mean the magnet?  Sorry I'm retarded ha ha.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #9 - 09/26/10 at 22:08:07

Magnet in the bottom chamber (chamber with two ports) with the subwoofer cone point up toward the top port. Please understand it is up to listener to tune the enclosure to their own liken. You might want to try it both ways and see which fits your taste. Good luck.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print