Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:31:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
scratchy volume pots... (Read 278 times)
ski bum
Seasoned Member

scratchy volume pots...
09/13/10 at 17:52:54

Hola Steve-

So my volume pots have developed some scratchiness.  I was wondering what type of contact cleaner you recommend, and if those pots can be lubed via the posts or if I have to crack the amp open to get to the pot housing directly.

Also, just wondering if stepped attenuators would fit in my amps (I've got the '09 black chassis model se84c+'s w/ the fore/aft orientation of the bias/input switches, which leaves very little space for a larger volume control).

Thanks in advance for your advice, and thanks again for hours and hours of daily musical rhapsody.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: scratchy volume pots...
Reply #1 - 09/14/10 at 13:33:20

ski bum

You will need to open up the amp so you can spray the cleaner into the slot above the 3 electrical contacts of the pot.  There will be two sets of 3 electrical contacts on a dual-ganged pot, and hence two  slots to spray cleaner into.  If you have a pair of single pots, then each pot will have a set of 3 electrical contacts and a single slot to spray cleaner into.

After trying just about every cleaner under the sun over the past 20 years or so, the one I've had the best luck with, both for instant and long term results, is WD-40.  It will clean the crap out of the pots, lubricate them, and won't evaporate instantly.

DanK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print