Send Topic Print
Cap size/bypass size (Read 6362 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Cap size/bypass size
07/31/10 at 19:27:07

I got a question about crossover caps(big ones), and bypass sizes for those caps. First off, I am using 250uf cap to limit bass going to a single driver speaker. Then I remembered that it might be a good idea to bypass that large cap with a much smaller cap. What I have on hand are two sizes. One os .022uf, and the other is .1uf...Does it make a difference which one I use, and why?  Thanks guys,  Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Cap size/bypass size
Reply #1 - 08/01/10 at 04:24:13

A starting point when bypassing caps is to do it by dividing each value by ten.  So you would have a 250uf, 25uf, 2.5uf, .25uf, .025uf  to achieve and even balance of speed throughout the range.  However, the time shift is different on each cap and even though we've tried to divide everything by 10's, there's more than a serious possibility that the time smearing would still take place to some degree.   Your idea, will simply add some spit on the very top leaving the rest of range far less fast in it's response.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 08/01/10 at 05:05:49

Then, it seems, a better idea is to have an 'ideal' cap in the first place. I promised myself not to do any more upgrades, but at least I owe it to my own curiosity to try a higher quality cap in the first place. The crossover freq. is about right, and does help the speakers do a better job within their limitations.
 Thanks Steve once again for your prompt and insightful reply.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/01/10 at 23:23:49

Yup, except 250uf of great cap isn't cheap.  

It might be better to block the bass at signal level.  This way you also don't waste amplifier power, you are only amping useable signal.

John C.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 08/02/10 at 00:04:16

John, I totally agree with you. I was only using a cap on the output to make it easier to switch caps until I found the right freq. to roll off. Now that I have found it(80hz) ,I need to determine the cap size and exact place to insert it in the 34.1 cicuitry. So far, I have determined that I might place the cap just after the volume control. Not really sure if this is the best place, so I could use some advice. Hope someone out there can help me with this....Greg Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print