04/24/24 at 14:16:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1 Death box or 2? (Read 8076 times)
bgrapids
Ex Member

1 Death box or 2?
06/22/10 at 18:34:05

I have decided to build a new box for my subs.

My question is should I put 2 subs in 1 box or should I build a box for each sub?

I also wanted to know what would be the best placement for the boxes, I have a 94 thunderbird.

Here are the specs on my subs they are 12":
VOICE COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC (OHMS) . . . . . . 3.29
VOICE COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1 KHZ: LEVC (MH) . . . . . . . 1.12
DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD (IN2) . . . . . . . . 82.46
SD (CM2) . . . . . . 532.00
MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL (TM) . . . . . . . . 10.65
COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS (FT3) . . . . . . . . 4.99
VAS (LITERS) . . . . 141.40
SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS (μM/N) . . . . 351.81
MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS (GRAMS). . . . 116.87
MOVING MASS, DIAPHRAGM: MMD (GRAMS) . . . 109.82
FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS (HZ) . . . . . . . . 24.82
MECHANICAL Q: QMS . . . . . . . . . . . 8.42
ELECTRICAL Q: QES . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.53
TOTAL Q: QTS . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.50
MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG (IN) . . . . . . . . . 0.31
HAG (MM) . . . . . . . . 7.92
VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC (IN) . . . . . . . . . 1.25
HVC (MM) . . . . . . . 31.75
MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX (IN) . . . . . . . .0.47
XMAX (MM) . . . . . . 11.91

I am more geared toword a SQ system with some good SPL.

ps: I did order the pass word 2 days ago and still have not got it. Is it normal for them to not send the password for days?

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: 1 Death box or 2?
Reply #1 - 06/23/10 at 15:33:57

I would build one, put one speaker in it, and try it out.  If you are not happy with it, there's not much point in doing anything more until you find out why.  One box with one speaker will have to be very close to what your looking for, because a second speaker or a second box just isn't going to add that much, a little - yes, but not a huge difference.  (The one exception might be 2 boxes out of phase...this creates null spots, but also "super" spots.  If the super spot is where the driver sits, they - yes, a 2nd box could add a lot - but you pay for it).

Your driver specs are pretty close to a driver I used with very good success in a deathbox12.  Funny thing about that deathbox was that it sounded "ok" in my car and in a friends car but sounded extraordinary in a friends van, better than anything else ever tried in that vehicle.  Haven't seen the deathbox since...

Dan

IP Logged
bgrapids
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/23/10 at 17:15:51

Thanks for the reply Dank:

My questions was not if i would be happy with it, I am sure I will be. I only have them in a generic 1.25 sq ft sealed square box now. They came in about a 1 sq ft sealed box with no polyfill, they were lets say not too impressive, Ok they down right just sucked. but I only paid 35 bucks for them off criegs list and I really like JBL, They really came alive once I dropped them in there new box. They sound not too bad. but still not quiet what I am looking for. What I really want is somthing that has really good SQ and can really put out the SPL when I want it to.

What I really wanted to know is, In your infinite wisdom what would be a better choice to clamshell 2 speakers in one box or have 2 separate boxes.

So why did it just sound "ok"? What is the price you speak of?

well I get my MDF today so I get to start on my build.  I will document and post how it goes.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 06/23/10 at 22:41:27

I'm not a big fan of clam-shelled drivers, so I guess I'd suggest 2 boxes (if you have the room).

On my deathbox, I don't know what made it sound jusk ok in a couple cars, but fantastic in a van.

Dan

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/10 at 02:31:26

I have to agree with the clamshelled driver comment.

I can only see a benefit to clamshelling if using  cheap drivers that perform with gross differences in their ability to follow a waveform's positive and negative swings or exhibit bad "linearity" in one way or another.

Since none of us want to use drivers like that anyway, the point may be moot.
(I know that there could be other benefits, but in an attempt to be succinct, generally, I say, skip it.)

The only other reason to clamshell is if you have way too much amplifier power and want to divide it in half across your drivers. Quite unlikely, I expect.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print