Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 22:52:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE34I.2 Bi-Amp Options - Preamp out? (Read 5243 times)
Andre_S
Ex Member

SE34I.2 Bi-Amp Options - Preamp out?
05/15/10 at 10:29:39

Hi All

My first post here, so hi and hello and all of that  :)
Steve - just want to say this must be from a visual perspective, the most inviting audio forum and web site out there.

Incidentally I am fortunate enough to have picked up my second ever valve amp today - a SE34I.2 from Peter (see the post from Jaco03 this forum).

My other amp is a LEAK Stereo 60.

I also have a pair of Lowther PM6As and my current plans are to have these running in an OB with a set of Hawthorne Augies supplementing the bottom end.

Now my dilemma and hopefully something you can help me with:

Mainly because of the efficiency differences between the Lowthers and Augies, my option for driving these is limited to bi-amping. The "no-brainer" setup would be source -> pre-amp -> active XO -> 2 amps (Decware to power the Lowthers and LEAK to power the Augies??) -> speakers.

But, I've seen a little item on the Decware product page about variable pre-amp outputs for the SE34I.2, and at the back of my amp, I can see marked plugs were I assume line level output goes.

So, is this something that can be added to the amp that can simplify my signal path from source to speakers by dropping at least the need for an external pre-amp and hopefully also drop the $ price of the components I must still purchase Grin

Suggestions?

Cheers

Andre

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: SE34I.2 Bi-Amp Options - Preamp out?
Reply #1 - 05/15/10 at 13:35:21

Have you considered a plate amp for the Hawthorne Augies?  I've used this one and it has worked quite well in a number of systems that I've tried with it.  I actually prefer the one with boost, 300-805, especially if you are using OB's
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-804

Dan

IP Logged
Andre_S
Ex Member

Re: SE34I.2 Bi-Amp Options - Preamp out?
Reply #2 - 05/16/10 at 04:25:15

Hi Dan

100% in the line of thinking I have  :-)

But, how do I drive that plate amp? The quick and dirty solution will be from speaker level. In my first post however I was wondering what the pre-amp output plugs at the rear of my se34i.2 is for. Can I possibly add some facility or upgrade to the amp to use it as a integrated feeding line level to either a plate amp or my LEAK Stereo 60 to drive the bottom range?

Cheers

Andre

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print