Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 06:03:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GIZMOS for Lowthers impressions (Read 8879 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

GIZMOS for Lowthers impressions
05/05/10 at 15:37:56

Quote:
Hello Steve!

I have got the Gizmos and insalld them to my Lowterhorn. Is a really big diffrence, i am suprised. The sometimes painfull sound (Lowther shout) is gone, its a much more soft, naturall and more eysalissend sond. I am more than happy!

Clas Delling, Sweden

For those who aren't familiar with Gizmos, they are a device we designed to improve the fidelity of Lowther full range drivers.  You can find information about them at the bottom of the following article:

https://www.decware.com/paper30.htm

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: GIZMOS for Lowthers impressions
Reply #1 - 05/05/10 at 16:53:23

Steve,
I remember that you suggested that I use the Ex Mod to the Gizmo, and that is what I have done. So tell me, what is the difference between the two?

shreekant Smiley

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 05/06/10 at 17:58:06

The EX mod on a Zen amp targets the power band towards higher impedances giving the amp significantly more weight and tone into 8 and 16 ohm loads.  

The Gizmo deals specifically with the ringing and shout of the lowther driver.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
k_opy1
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/26/16 at 18:36:11

You've summed up the sound of Lowthers with the ring and shout comment. And yet there is a huge following even though they come with a hefty price tag.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 08/10/16 at 03:02:40

I don't want to feature Lowther in this conversation because the ringing and shout is typical of many (most) high efficiency near full-range drivers. This is because these types of drivers are high in efficiency and feature low-mass / paper-thin cones. The cone's break up at high SPL's AND let all of the sound inside the cabinet right back out through the cone. It is almost always the cabinet and rear wave that creates the "shout" so many complain of. The frequency balance of these types of drivers calls for large cabinets, usually horns, to have any real serious bass - enough to offset their naturally tipped up response.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print