04/26/24 at 02:01:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pic of finished amp (Read 7252 times)
Evo
Ex Member

Pic of finished amp
05/03/10 at 10:20:42

Here's a pic of the zkit I built (sorry about the lighting but its under the desk at the moment)

Matt

IMG_3308rev.jpg
  IP Logged
chris_m
Verified Member

Re: Pic of finished amp
Reply #1 - 05/04/10 at 01:29:05

Matt,
That  looks real nice.  What kind of wood did you use for the base and how did you finish it?

I'm also planning to put mine into a chassis soon.  I'm concerned I might electrocute a cat or two with it sitting open on a piece of wood. I'm trying to get some forum feedback on going with a tube rectifier before starting to make holes in a chassis.  So far no luck though.

Right now I'm experimenting with a 6DJ8 in the kit and it's sounding quite good.  The 6P15P-EV is voiced very nicely but it still feels a bit hot playing into my JX92S full range drivers.  Strangely I didn't like the 6DJ8 in the TORII but in the Zkit 1 I think's it sounds unexpectely good at the moment.

I still have to work on hum issues with this kit.  I'm hoping it's be an advantange to chassis mount the board and wire directly into the driver side of the board.

Have you modded your kit in any ways at this stage?

Chris

Torii MkII, AN DAC, home built MLTL with Jordan JX92S
  IP Logged
Evo
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/07/10 at 04:32:22

Thanks for the feedback. You made me think that I should really try out a few different tubes!

I'm cheapskate so I just used material that I had lying around. The side is made out of bamboo flooring cast offs. Its that click together stuff so has a nice lip at the top to position the top plate. I used some spare 19mm MDF for the top plate and painted it white. I would have preferred metal, but am not sure how I would have cut the holes. The MDF probably needed to be 19mm to hold that massive transformer, but in retrospect I should have put some sort of vent in the top to let the heat out. The hottest part seems to be where the large black resistor is and the heat doesn't affect the sound, but I don't think it would be a good idea to have the tubes inside a box as well.

Re: mods the only change I did was to connect some solid core wire between the RCA ground and the capacitor to reduce the hum as per the 'hum problem' post. I definite much if you have a hum. The hum virtually vanished one mine, whereas before it would ruin most quiet parts.

Good luck with the chassis. Be sure to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Matt

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 05/07/10 at 13:27:26

I would have sworn that was a metal top plate from the pic.  Painted MDF huh?  

Dan

IP Logged
chris_m
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/07/10 at 15:59:44

I thought it was a metal top too.  I did wonder if the wood base was bamboo.  Cever reuse of material.  I bought a Hammond steel chassis but now have to figure out how I will cut/punch the openings I want to make.  Working with wood and MDF would be more managable given the tools I have to work with.

BTW, I put the CCE mod caps in last evening and while I had the soldering iron out and warm I also worked on addressing the hum more or less per the thread in hum issues.  The is gone!  And the hum was one of the main reasons I decided to go with a steel chassis.

IP Logged
Evo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/10 at 23:12:06

Yep,its wooden topped. It looks pretty good in real life - you would probably think it was metal unless you tapped it. I used one coat of undercoat and then 3 layers of ultra gloss enamel paint. I used an ultra fine foam roller, which I find is the key to getting a smooth finish.

The glad that the mod for the hum solved the issue - I think quite a few of us, including me, are pretty thankful that Dank came up with that.

IP Logged
chris_m
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/09/10 at 15:50:00

I ended up using a subset of Steve's and DanK's suggestions plus a few other things like re-soldering some connections and directly soldering to the plated through hole that grounds the shield trace.  I didn't do them one at a time so I don't know if any one of them was most effective but the hum just plain vanished afterwards, so I'm very pleased so little remediation could fix it so completely.  All whille still mounted on a piece of wood.

I have been doing quite a bit of back-to-back comparison with my TORII.  Naturally the TORII is superior sonically but the humble three tube amp continues to deliver more than would seem possible.

One area I would like to alter prior to putting the amp in a chassis where it will be a little more difficult to work on is reducing the midrange shout.  For some reason the TORII has it about right for my room and speakers but the ZKIT 1 is a little too bright and thin in the midrange.  For example tenor sax a a bit more sharp and forward with similar effect on other voices in that range.  I need to find out what areas of tweaking can address that whether it be different coupling cap, enabing tube rectification, or something else. I need to get my SPL meter out and compare the profile of each amp.

At least now that the hum is gone comparisons with my TORII as a reference are useful.

Chris

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print