Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 21:10:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new here, so introducing myself... (Read 8171 times)
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

I'm new here, so introducing myself...
04/08/10 at 14:35:47

Hello, all.  I came here after reading the review of the Zen amp in the latest issue of Tone Audio.

I'm curious about tube gear, but don't own any at present.  So I'm nosing around and asking questions.... Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I'm new here, so introducing myself...
Reply #1 - 04/08/10 at 14:50:12

Hi Dan! Welcome!  

Since you've come clean and introduced yourself, we'll treat you gently from now on. Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/10 at 15:04:28

Thanks, Lon.....I found out a long time ago that (mostly) clean living works best.... Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/08/10 at 15:11:34

Some things certainly are better after they've been hosed down and sudsed. Smiley

Tell us a bit about your system and your music tastes and listening habits.  I really think that information will be helpful when discussing future gear.

For instance, after reading this board for a number of years and collecting all this sort of information I've predicted that my final stereo system will take advantage of a giant orbiting Decware amplification and power delivery system. . . I use the Decware music computer to select tha music I wish to hear, and the sound is beamed wirelessly to my in-ear heaphone implants or any of a number of pairs of DecZeig RL5500 Mark VII speakers that I have in all my living environments.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/10 at 15:49:17

I've always been one of those people who's more about the music than the gear (other than wanting good sound).

And then I got a mail piece from the (sadly) defunct Listener magazine... Grin  

My present system is a Pioneer PL-550 TT (I THINK that's the model #) with Grado Blue cartridge, Pioneer receiver, Pioneer CD changer, Sony cassette deck, and original Advent loudspeakers.

Musically....almost anything is fair game.  As much as I hate categories, I'd say rock, blues, jazz are the 3 biggies, with occasional forays into classical, country, world, folk...oh hell, if it's music and I like it, I don't care WHAT it's called!!!!!

I've been curious about tubes for awhile, but budgetary concerns have prevented me from picking up anything tubular.  That, and lack of knowledge and not wanting to get stuck w/expensive gear that I don't like.

I'm liking the idea of the orbital music server..... Grin.  I like the idea of A music server to reduce the piles of CDs.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/08/10 at 15:57:45

Well, music-lovers are always welcome on these pages!

Sounds as if you have a pretty nice system. Well-seasoned, pretty neutral I bet. I'm listening to my system which is sounding its best day by day lately, and I'd be really remiss if I didn't suggest that you consider saving up for or otherwise targetting the Torii Mark III amplifier. Mine is new and blowing my socks off.  It's one tube component you could just drop right into your system and it would just shake it the heck up.  You will definitely hear a difference. Smiley  It would serve as a vibrant and clear nerve center for any front end or speaker or cabling or power conditioning changes you make in the future. I would be very surprised if you didn't just drop one of those into your system and go through all your recordings three times more in joy. And then take a deep breath and relax. Smiley

IP Logged
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/10 at 16:03:11

Your response brings to mind a question, Lon.....how WOULD tube gear work with the Advent loudspeakers?  

I'm always reading about low-power amps requiring speakers with high sensitivity, and have no clue whether Advents are in that category or not (I bought mine new in 1978).

BTW, I'm all about Marvin Gaye....saw your pic of an album cover at the beginning of the spinning thread....recently played 'Here, My Dear' again for the first time in a LONG time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 04/08/10 at 16:09:39

Sometimes when I listen to that album that musical line "When did I stop loving you. When did you stop loving me" goes through my mind for hours!

My own listening experience with Advents were from the seventies and eighties, and I've heard my share of Pioneer receivers from those times and I think I have an idea the type of sound you are hearing now.  I haven't been able to play themw ith Decware amplifiers though, so I can only really guess. But my guess?  They'll work well enough for you to be happy discovering a new sound for months and months. They are powerful amps and were designed to be usable with many speakers of the present and past and future. Unless you have a huge room and if your sources give the sort of output I guess they would I think you'll have enough oomph. A call to Steve will get THE answer though. From personal experience I know how well Steve understands how all his amps fare with a number of different speaker brands and designs.

IP Logged
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/10 at 16:16:16

Yeah, that's a really haunting line, for sure......

And you're right with what you said earlier...my system is neutral, overall.  The Advents continue to amaze me...IMHO, they blow away lots of more expensive speakers, musically!

Thanks for the name to call.... Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/08/10 at 16:29:21

If you fell in love with the Torii and so did your speakers, you'd be able to use your receiver for your phono, radio, and one other source (I believe that will have a pre-out) and the other input on the Torii could be for the other source, CD or tape. Then you might be quite happy, or you might want to say buy a DAC like the Zen DAC-1 to improve your digital sound, or move to new speakers, or try a Zen phono preamp, or . . .  Whichever direction you went, the Torii will have your back.

IP Logged
DanFromMichigan
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/08/10 at 16:56:52

That Torii looks sweet.....and if it SOUNDS as good as it looks...... Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 04/08/10 at 17:40:36

It does.  It does. Smiley

A call to Steve. . .well it will be good.  It could also start a fever! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print