Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 00:50:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tone Controls "Or lack there of" (Read 4373 times)
brians7
Verified Member

Tone Controls "Or lack there of"
04/07/10 at 00:19:51

I will start by saying that in my search for the holy grail I have ended up with the following. Decware MINI TORII, CSP2 and SE84C-S.  On my quest through low fi and hifi recivers and intergrated amps the only thing I find missing are those useful tone controls.  My Mini Torii has a very useful treble control cut, but what might be even more useful would be a new product from Decware something like a tone control switch box.  Like for example one with 4 or 6 controls set at different frequency. All the old tube recivers had them and home stero consoles.  Gosh everything had tone controls on them, and who ever decided that I didn't want them.  So my question is if Decware were to produce such a product would any of you guys be interested? Lord knows if they did it would be a great product.    Thanks Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Tone Controls "Or lack there of"
Reply #1 - 04/07/10 at 03:34:55

Interestingly enough, I was just looking on Audiogon to see what was available for an eq, parametric or graphic. Our rooms will never be perfect, nor will recordings, but most importantly, I can't fool myself any longer about my hearing at age 52 as compared to younger years. A simple adjustment for my changed hearing would be appreciated. Your idea for a Decware product to accomidate this need is a good one I think.

Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/07/10 at 20:43:12

Steve probably would have an interesting take on the component, that's for sure. If Decware puts it out, it's worth considering.  I know that such a component could be a big help to some.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/08/10 at 01:55:19

I studied broadcasting at Miami-Dade Community College in the mid 1970's with Mean Dave Gravel. He said that the men would boost the bass knob on the stereo and the women would turn it down. We have preferences depending upon gender, our hearing, etc. It is to the point that we have to decide whether to accept a certain sound, without tone controls, or have tone controls control the sound - instead of adapting to it as it is. I think that tone controls may create compromises in the ultimate fidelity of each component they are linked to.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/08/10 at 14:56:55

You make valid points.  However I believe tone controls themselves are incredibly handy tools for some situations. And I could conceive of a Decware component of this type which would not necessarily always adversely influence the sound.

I read online on music boards persons with totally topnotch solid state systems bought in the eighties and nineties that have early digital front ends that are still running and that were so expensive they're not being replaced that could really really benefit from some accurate equalization. I read of people buying cd version after cd version of a title to find which one sounds finally right on their rig, where I believe if they used a room mic  and a very fine eq component, especially perhaps a tubed one, or a tube-solid state-switchable/blendable one (hint hint) they could easily and repeatedly find a great sound for recordings and end that sort of software search. They could settle down and relax into the music.

As you know, like tube-rolling, equalization changes can have some great sonic benefits, and some not so great to scary bad sonic results.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print