Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:23:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lon, what instrument do you play these days? (Read 4740 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Lon, what instrument do you play these days?
02/28/10 at 02:56:41

I remember you were a bit of a strummer way back when.  What amuses you these days?  I've been at it a bit myself and I thought maybe we could start a thread on what people play for their own entertainment or for others.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Lon, what instrument do you play these days?
Reply #1 - 02/28/10 at 03:21:53

I've started back on drumming this last year.  Dug my Sonor kit out and set it up and also bought a Roland electronic set.

I've been playing a lot more bass than anything, my bass violin (full size) and two Fender American Jazz Deluxe basses, one with a maple fretted fingerboard, one with a rosewood fretless (lined) fingerboard.

I have a lot of guitars but the ones I play most lately are a Billy Corgan Stratocaster and a '59 Thinskin Jazzmaster reissue. Also a Martin 00-15 all mahogany acoustic.  All my electric guitars and basses I run through my '59 Fender Bassman LTD Reissue amp, and a Fender Bantam bass amp in a custom walnut cabinet with flame maple joints.  Have a few other tube amps getting dusty. Has to be a tube amp for me.

I also have a Yamah digital piano that I should play more.

I'm totally self-taught and I'm no good.  I like sound and texture.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/28/10 at 03:53:48

Nice, Lon.

I've got a few basic amps and a few basic guitar.  I've got a Fender Strat that I modded.  A gibson that I modded.  A couple of Martins that you guessed, I modded.  My favorite guitar is a low end Epiphone Dot that I modded.  I removed the tone controls and installed some Seymour Duncan 59 PAFs that comes close to a B. B. King tone.  The action is low and I play 10s or 11s.  I currently play through a Peavey Valveking that works better for heavy metal than jazz-blues (mostly blues) which I prefer.  I think I am going to get a Peavey Delta Blues amp with a 15 inch woofer.  Heard it and I can get a real meaty and clean B. B. King tone right off his live at the Regal kind of thing.

I will post some pictures of some of what I've got as soon as I can get it together.

Too bad you live so far away.  I'd love to have you as a neighbor.  You'd probably get sick of me but, Lon, you are a source of great ideas.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/10 at 01:23:49

Lon, this is my main axe these days.  It is a low end guitar but I've had it modded with some high end hardware.  It sounds very nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/03/10 at 02:13:21

Cool.  Those Epiphones can be hit and miss apparently.  I played four of them at the Guitar Center nearest me a few years ago and I didn't like any of them.  But a friend has one from a year or so before that which I really do like. I'd love to have a vintage Gibson ES335, or a Lucille model, but I don't want to spend the money.

I used to be a Gibson man but I discovered the modern 9.5" radius Fender necks fit me best of any necks I've played. Now I have five Fender guitars and three Fender basses.

Here's the three that I play most often, my two sunburst jazzes, two basses (fretted and unfretted) and a '59 Thinskin Jazzmaster reissue.

100_0442.jpg

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/10 at 03:00:43

That is some nice gear.

Yeah, the Epi Dot was not that great when I got it, but the wood was good and it was cheap.  Originally, I just bought it as a goof.  I had this guy here in Phoenix re-fret it, remove the tone controls (it only has volume controls for each pickup), and I installed a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and the bridge has a Dimarzio Super Distortion.  The reason I installed the Super Distortion is because, believe it or not, it gets a really deep, sweet tone.  Plus, I play 10s or 11s which gives a very nice tone.    

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 03/03/10 at 03:12:03

I use .10s and .11s on some guitars too.  But .9s on my Billy Corgan strat because that's best for that one. Easiest playing guitar I've ever had.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print