Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 23:23:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Squeezebox, I think I want one... (Read 3984 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Squeezebox, I think I want one...
02/28/10 at 05:55:34

If I can plug in an external DAC, I think I want one.  The price isn't that much for the model I want.  I'd just have to get a router and I am off to the races.

IP Logged
Alan H
Ex Member

Re: Squeezebox, I think I want one...
Reply #1 - 03/01/10 at 20:30:38

I'm happy with mine. It's an ethernet device - either cabled (I use ethernet-over-mains), or wireless.

However you will need a router and broadband as well if you want to access internet radio.

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/02/10 at 01:07:44

I'm not so big on the internet radio but more as a server of music that I may store on an external drive.  Will this work that way?

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/10 at 06:41:37

Match, internet radio is eventually unavoidable-25000+ stations and more options than any other source. 192kbps is minimum for quality feeds but rare and hard to find. There are a few 320kbps sources, mostly college lab productions but very high quality. It wont be long before that's all there is-economics being what it is. Where are the quality affordable dacs? CDs are going away and mp3 doesnt cut it IMHO. SO the future is (drum roll).............

IP Logged
Alan H
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/10 at 23:56:03

Mike - the Netherlands funds a 320kbs Classical music stream of great music.

Match - I have all my music ripped to FLACs on an external USB hard disk. Squeezeserver is simply pointed to that drive. I have an old house, and wireless is not strong enough to reach the room where I listen - so I bought Homeplugs for ethernet over mains. You simply plug one into a mains socket beside your computer - attach it to an ethernet port. Plug a second Homeplug into a mains socket beside your hifi, and attach this to the ethernet socket on the Squeezebox. And hey presto - networked audio without running long cables.

Does mean you need your computer on to listen to music - however you can listen to internet streams with your computer off if your Router is a seperate box.

Internal DAC is adequate, external - how deep are your pockets (use wire to the DAC rather than Toslink - I have A/B'd it).

N.B. As with all computer network stuff, be prepared for a little bit of frustration getting it all up and talking and glitch free. It is not yet mainstream plug 'n' play. If you are not geeky, it helps to have a geeky pal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print