Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$4K System? (Read 46502 times)
nsj
Ex Member

Re: $4K System?
Reply #50 - 12/05/09 at 16:34:03

Lon,

Thanks for that and yes, I did receive the photo. They are very impressive speakers!

I'm off to order the ERR's!  ;)

nsj

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 12/05/09 at 20:34:50

You have done well Grasshopper. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #52 - 12/06/09 at 06:48:38

Hello Everyone,

Okay I'll give those settings a shot.

Basically you're saying. Knobs on ZCD set pretty low, like 1-3 clicks. Little trim pots on CSP2 full blast. Volume on Tori relative to how loud I can take it in my room.

NSJ basically what we're talking about is playing around with the output voltages of the different sources and pre amps to see how it affects sound.

Here is something interesting in regards to the ZCD and CSP2 with headphones (no speakers). I'm running a pair of Senn HD650's in case you're curious and my cds are all originals and good examples of imaging and sonics.

When I hoooked up the ZCD tube output and factory output both to the CSP2 (note it has two inputs) and tried to level match them, I found that it was very hard to hear the difference between the two. At this point my ZCD had about 50 hours on it and my CSP2 is from 2006 so it has plenty of time on it (but I did switch to new tubes about 200 hours ago).

I mention this because when you do this with a pair of speakers (in this case I'm just talking about going ZCD>Tori>Speakers and you switch the inputs on the Tori from the Tube ZCD to the Factory ZCD it sounds remarkably different.

Of course the tube output sounds way cleaner. I really don't know how to put it other than it sounds better in every way.

So when I was on the phone with Steve a while ago I mentioned this and he wasn't surprised. Basically he was saying that the CSP2 helps so much with a source that what I was hearing with the headphones make sense.

Lon, I'll try those settings and let you know. I'm all for making things sound better and my CSP2 is just sitting around now doing nothing so why not give it a go.

Have a good night everyone,

IP Logged
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #53 - 12/14/09 at 08:24:03

Update on CSP2 with ZCD and Tori II.

Hey Lon and Anyone Else Reading,

I tried those settings with the CSP2 and since my wall outlet only has two outlets I had to use one of those computer backup power thingys I had.

In general I didn't seem to get a big benefit from inserting the CSP2 and I really picked up more hum. My guess is that was the power transformer computer backup thingy.

I've heard lots of other people say the CSP2 is just candy between a ZCD and a Tori so I'll have to run power from somewhere else and see if I can get rid of the hum.

Have a good night all!

Parker Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 12/14/09 at 13:08:00

Parker,

Thanks for trying that out.

Two things:

One, I think that the ZCD and CSP2 in the chain are generating that hum. I found that when I had the Monoblocks (Steve called these his noisiest amp), the ZCD and the CSP2 in the system the hum had overwhelmed me, which was why I went for the Integrated (and then had that great offer for the Torii from Bob).  Even with these amps the ZCD and the CSP2 combo gave me noticeable hum that was just enough to ignore.

My solution was to get better sound and no hum altogether with a different cd player, the Sony SCD-XA5400ES.  When the CSP2 is all the way up there is a bit of hum (not listenable from the listening seat).

In the last few weeks I've changed my CSP2 settings again to just less than halfway on the gain pots.  I had moved my speakers and changed my listening seat from a couch to a recliner and as is the case with my system this changed the sound.  Also I had begun to feel that with the pots all the way open I was losing some dynamics in favor of that fat rich tonal balance that seemed right.  Experimenting with speaker placement and CSP2 gain I found that the pots at just under halfway work well for me now.

Experimenting is something I'm always tempted to do with this system as it is so revealing and responsive.  I confess it never really stays in the same configuration for more than a few months, as my living space changes a bit whether Anadina and I are spending a lot of time together there, which instruments and amps are living in the room for a spell, etc.

I hope you can find a nice zone for the CSP2 and Torii together, they do work very well together in my experience.  If not, you have been getting excellent sound without it so returning to that configuration is no crime! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
BLFST

Reply #55 - 12/17/09 at 22:39:15

NSJ,

Not only did I miss you personal emails for awhile, I guess that I missed this thread.  I usually just open up the last message posted on each main forum topic forgetting that there may have been other sub-topics going on.  Glad that everyone was able to answer your questions and that the Torrii is on its way to you.  Like I mentioned in the personal email, it is a GREAT amp and I am EXTREMELY happy with mine.

I just wanted to let you know of one other source of cables and interconnects if you are still shopping around for some.  I have used Signal Cable with my sytems for a few years now.  They are extremely affordable given what the market is generally asking for theirs, and they sound great.  I think that you can find them at www.signalcable.com.  I don't mean to take anything away from Steve, but it is another good option.  

Again, congrats on the system that you have coming in.

bill

IP Logged
nsj
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 12/18/09 at 01:20:57

Bill,

Thanks for your info. Everyone has been incredibly helpful on this forum and made a newbie feel welcome.

I have ordered the Decware interconnects, but, I am still shopping around for the speaker wires. Clear Day Cables were also suggested earlier.

Again,

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print