Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 04:20:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone use Klipsch RF-7? (Read 3251 times)
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Anyone use Klipsch RF-7?
08/19/09 at 03:09:13

back in production...and thankfully with real wood veneer this time.  102db/w, response down to the low 30's.  Since I own se84c+ amps, I am seriously thinking of trying these.  Currently using much less efficient but somewhat omnidirectional speakers that image very, very well, but looking to take full advantage of that first watt.

Assuming they sound the same as the old version, has anyone used RF-7's with zen's?  Impressions?  

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone use Klipsch RF-7?
Reply #1 - 09/12/09 at 14:05:07

I have used my Select with the RF7s and an original SE Integrated.  Obviously the RF-7s were as loud as you could want with the Select.  I really like Klipsch speakers and the RF-7 were satisfying being driven with the Select.

As nice as the Klipsch are, they are no match for my homebuilt Nibbelin NFX.  THe NFX have similar sensitivity mid range and up but not the lower bass volume of the Klipsch.  You can hear the bass in the NFX but it does not stand out.  You might call that bass light or you could describe it as fast and accurate without the muddiness of many speakers.  I feel the complex crossover networks in the Klipsch really degrade their potential.

If I were choosing a ready built speaker I would go with the High Defintion Towers before the RF-7s.  Probably pay much less too. good luck

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/28/09 at 20:47:48

Thanks rmt.

I recently visited a shop, zen in hand, which sells not only Klipsch but the speakers I currently own, and they were accomodating enough to let me play for a couple hours in one of their listening rooms.

They didn't have the RF-7s (only avail from Klipsch direct), but I did hear RF-82s in a side-by-side comparison to my (almost ashamed to admit this...but not really) DT 7006's.

The Klipsch are definitely able to go loud.  I use two zen's in mono at home, but only had one for this audition.  The added sensitivity of the Klipsch was quite noticeable.  

What I couldn't get around, and ultimately why Klipsch would never work in my room, was the imaging thing.  'Forward' is an understatement.  After much fussing with speaker position in the listening room, it became apparent that the Klipsch were indeed capable of throwing a very compelling and lifelike image, but it was always so forward that it only came into focus when listening from great distances.  The image was always between me and the plane of the speakers; close distances ruined the cohesiveness; greater distances allowed it to snap into focus, but at that point I was about 20' from the speakers, which wouldn't work in my living room.  Punchy and lively though.

The DT's more radial dispersion caused the soundstage to begin between listening position and speakers but extended well behind.  They did the disappearing act much better than the Klipsch, with the zen 3-d thing on full display.

Dude from shop was very quiet during these sessions, often having that incredulous look that first-time Decware listeners have.

Until I have a huge room, I think I'll stay away from the Klipsch.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/29/09 at 02:34:34

Quote:
Dude from shop was very quiet during these sessions, often having that incredulous look that first-time Decware listeners have.

Smiley  Love it!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print