05/17/24 at 06:13:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cash for clunkers (Read 8744 times)
mike_gagne
Ex Member

cash for clunkers
08/08/09 at 18:26:40

I have an old Marantz tuner and amplifier. What are the chances for a trade in?   Wink

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Re: cash for clunkers
Reply #1 - 08/09/09 at 03:43:44

Check Ebay!
Marantz brings good $$ if it is a certain era.
Is it in good shape?

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/09/09 at 08:51:34

My query is really more about what to do with old electronics in reality. There are way too many of them and most of us know little about fixing them with new caps and resistors. I have a friend with a desk drawer full of remotes. This is ludicrous on its face and harmful to the planet in the overall. I must say that I found Decware trying to repair some old Jamo speakers so that I could have music while I work. Now I see what the tube thing is about and feel there is a potential for longer life and enjoyment from these amplifiers than anything I have had previously. There ought to be some way of recycling them to a new use instead of disposing of them in a landfill of a third world country. My Tori Mark III is going to likely be my last major amp but I wish there was some place to put the old gear. Any ideas out there?    mike

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 08/09/09 at 15:57:13

How about donating to thrift stores or similar?
I agree completely that keeping them out of the landfill is a priority.
(I wonder how long it takes on average for the majority of stuff purchased at "Wally-World" &c. to hit that landfill?)
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
DaveK
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/09 at 02:55:54

You really only have a few options with old equipment. If it's vintage or high end, you might be able to sell it for something. If it's the usual garden variety stuff, about all you can do is scrap it or give it away.

I had a old Crown IC-150 preamp and D-150 amp. Now if you read anything about that pair, sound wise it's considered "far less than optimum", still I was able to find a new home for each of them, and the new owners are delighted with them.

Not everyone listens critically, and plenty of people will think it's great.

If it is broken, you can take a chance at fixing it your self. You got nothing to loose, since it is not currently working. Otherwise, scrap it. Yea, I hate to add to the waste stream also, but what other choices so you have?

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/10/09 at 07:20:44

The thrift stores do not want them here. They want clothing mostly. My hope is to find someone who repairs/repurposes like there used to be for TVs when I was a kid. It seems possible but I do not know of anyone yet. This whole consumer thing we do is mind boggling yet I have a refined ear and want something that plays for that. I agree there ought to be someone who would appreciate a formerly great (to my ears) equipment and appreciate having it. I will look for that but I must say I have quite a bit of stuff that has been "to good to throw away." Turntables, 2 amps, 2 tuners, speakers, a preamp, etc and not many people in rural Hawaii who see what this stuff does. You all have offered good ideas.    I will keep working on this one.  Mahalo(thank you)       mike

IP Logged
Cheerwino
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/11/09 at 01:56:27

Wow, vintage hi-fi is a hot commodity at our local thrift stores. Anything silver and from the 70s or earlier gets gone immediately.

You might try selling on Craigslist or see if someone is looking for old stuff on Craigslist in your area.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/11/09 at 07:31:53

I will definitely try Craigslist. Thanks for that. I just got word that my new Torii MarkII is ready. I got one of the last black plates available thanks to someone dropping off the que. I am concerned about how the old gear gets moved out and do not want to "dump" it. I will let you know how that evolves as there may be a real ethic that is transferable to others on this forum.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/17/09 at 05:00:04

Silver anything from 70's to 80's fetches good prices on Ebay. If it is not working usually you will find "fixers" trolling for units to fix or to cannibalize in fixing other more worthy units. You said "Marantz" and I say Ebay. Just that simple. Trust me when I tell you since I've been poking around the auctions seeing what goes for what $$$ for over 2 years now. While I understand that old SS gear from Japan may not be all that Hi-Fi to some folks, the fact is, is that the collectibility of that stuff is just too compelling to stand by and let it get thrown in the dumpster. I came across a Sansui 9090 receiver (circa 1976) from an original owners estate and the family likely kicked it in the face walking by it while they rummaged through the poor guys stuff. I saw it and knew right away it was a keeper. Beautiful piece of consumer TOTL Sansui and it sound darn good. For what it is I expected it to be broken but it fired right up and with almost no cosmetic blemishes.

If you have old Marantz tube gear then depending on what you have you have a small pile of cash there friend. Wink  

So to clarify, I encourage you to SELL your OLD stuff on Ebay or have a seasoned Ebayer friend of yours list it for you!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
THE dawg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/05/09 at 22:50:08

Take shite things to Best Buy. They will charge you a bit and recycle the remains into rulers for school kids.
I am told that the heavy metals are extracted and "disposed of."  Not one hundred percent sure how that part looks, but it might be better than using someone's dumpster for all those electronics which have gone past redemption.
BB is a large company, well in the public's eye, with lots to lose if they are not responsible. They are not going to fake their recycling program.
... but hell, if you have an old wonderful piece that has just stopped working, maybe someone could use it, if you offered it up.

IP Logged
Jason

Reply #10 - 10/05/09 at 23:07:17

I know where some of all that electronic stuff gets "recycled".  I live beside one of the worlds largest lead/zinc smelters and they are doing a lot of recycling for the recoverable metals.  It all gets thrown in one of the slag furnaces.   The recoverable metal comes off in the dross and goes through the refinery.  All the plastics make heat.

Jason

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print