Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:44:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TORII MK II amplifier - first impresions (Read 4275 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

TORII MK II amplifier - first impresions
08/14/09 at 19:59:59

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Just wanted to let you know that my TORII arrived this afternoon.  I’m on vacation this week and was available to receive it.  It arrived in fine condition and after opening it and reading the online manual  I put the tubes in and fired the thing up.

It’s  a very handsome amp aesthetically.  I really like the symmetrical layout.  

It’s been powered up less than five hours and will be shut down for the evening soon.  It’s working great and sounds very, very good out of the shoot.   Moreover, you’re right, it beats my modified Kit #1 in some basic categories.  The TORII has more presence.  More bass for sure.  I may drop using my subwoofer for anything other than home theater.

The dynamics and speed differences are there.  I didn’t expect them to be as apparent but there they are.  Another thing, the amp comes across remarkably free of congestion regardless of the type of music I’m throwing at it.  That’s really cool.  It seems to be quite a design you have.  

I’m looking forward to more listening tomorrow.    

Best Regards,

Chris

Keep us posted as everything works in!  Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: TORII MK II amplifier - first impresions
Reply #1 - 08/16/09 at 22:31:30

Quote:
Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your comments about the Mk III.  I am somewhat in awe that you can continue to wring out sonic improvements from a design that is already performing so well.  So what happened to the concept of getting to the point of diminishing returns?  If you over achieve on the Mk III it is an outstanding result but I’ll have to honestly admit the Mk II is providing a greater sonic improvement than I thought I would experience.  I'm truly appreciative I could obtain that at the price you have offered it for and I thank you very much.  Thanks also for continuing to tweak and improve the design.  

I am quite naive about tube audio design.  When I first ventured into tube amplifiers a few years ago I thought most all of the tube amp circuit designs were done and new tube amplifiers were essentially re-issues of existing designs.  I wanted to try a scratch build of an established design.  Well, in the end I got lazy, and instead built a kit.  The experience did elevate my knowledge and experience in the realm of hifi.  As I upgraded components I became aware of design aspects that go beyond the basic schematic.  Around the time I became interested in a PP tube amp I also realized that it is very unlikely I can acquire the requisite knowledge to build a PP tube amplifier from scratch that would perform to the level I desire and at a price I can afford.  Moreover, I became aware of companies such as Decware and realized further design innovation still continues today.  It excites me a whole lot to know there are designers such as yourself pushing the boundaries of tube amplifier performance and price.  Your summer sale on the TORII has allowed me to experience such design first hand.  I am very pleased with my experience to date.      

It's fine if you posted my comments on the TORII Mk II.  I mean every word I wrote and I look forward to sharing my impressions as I continue to listen and learn.

Chris

The answer is rather simple to your opening question:  The more I learn the less I know.  

The biggest breakthrough has been the CCE mod which your amp has.  I have yet to be able to measure what it does with any real substance.
You would think that taking the suppressor grid which is at a fixed DC potential equal to the cathode and lifting the DC voltage, changing it to  an AC voltage relative to the cathode to create a tuned reactive window that modifies the internal AC feedback would be something a guy can measure.  What it does to the sound is profound.  Yet, all of the frequency response, distortion tests, dynamic and phase response tests show identical results...

Which just goes to show, specs mean little, and so do schematics.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it, and look forward to the final analysis.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print