Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TORII mkII with CSP? (Read 12027 times)
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

TORII mkII with CSP?
11/30/08 at 02:05:24

Hi,
Has anyone used these two together?  I am already loving my TORII so much that I am very lazy even to try it with the CSP.  :)
Cheers,
Alper Yilmaz

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Re: TORII mkII with CSP?
Reply #1 - 12/03/08 at 17:16:03

Alper,

I have probably as much experience with this combo as anyone else. I at least have enough comparative time evaluating this set up to give you a solid answer on this.

For the first few months of ownership of the TORIIMK2, I used it direct from the source (both digital and analog), without any preamp or anything else in the chain. Just the source, amp, and speakers to keep everything in the signal path as short and clean as possible.

I had felt quite content with this set up as it was and never felt the need for a change. I had the CSP2 at the time but only used it for headphone use. I simply did not see the need for introducing it to the main loop as I felt the amp direct was the best possible way to get the purest sound from it.

After a little coaxing from others that used the CSP2 with their TORIIMK2, I caved in out of curiosity and gave it a try just to satisfy that curiosity. I had to know if this really gained improvement this way or not.

The results proved what I was told by others concerning this combination. Affirmative! What I discovered was that the CSP2 provided better control with what I guess I could say as tighter regulation between the channels.

The tube rolling option in the CSP2 also gave a strong point to fine tuning the overall sound.

The major plus was the ability to fine tune the response overall by way of the voltage pots. This by far provided the most useful feature for the CSP2 which really allowed me to adjust the output of my amplification to a much more precise sound quality.

I found this combonation strong enough as a very well matched set-up that I have never since removed the CSP2 from the path.

My take on this; YES, it is definitely worth your while to use the CSP2 along with the TORIIMK2 as it flushes out the true character of that amp.

Enjoy!

Paul.

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/04/08 at 20:16:28

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response.  I will definitely give it a try around the holidays in this case.

Regards,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 04/22/09 at 16:29:09

Alper,

Did you give this a try?  Any impressions?  Thanks.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/10/09 at 04:06:06

Actually, I have not...  I admit I am very lazy when it comes to tube rolling or trying different things on our stereo setup.  The CSP is lying there not used since I received the TORII!  As soon as I give it a try, I will post my findings here...

Regards,

Alper

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rotel RCD1070
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

I took the plunge!
Reply #5 - 07/10/09 at 06:32:05

Today I ordered a ToriiMk11 thinking I could get the last of the black plates. That bus left the station a couple of days ago but the new issue build will just have to do Wink. I have built a number of speakers for others and myself and had only a puny amp to drive them. Saving my pennies for a Taboo and CSP I realized the Torii might be a better option for almost the same price. A month cant pass too soon..... Can hardly wait!!     mike

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 07/15/09 at 20:43:08

Mike,

Which base did you order for your Torii-II, I want to make sure you get my best work Roll Eyes I don't want to be embarrassed sending it to another woodworker and all Cry

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/30/09 at 14:24:41

Well, I added the CSP2 to the system this weekend after months of it sitting in the closet.

I have to agree with Paul: the CSP2 certainly has a place in a system with the Torii Mark II.  It does allow you to finetune your channel balance and the overall presentation of the system.

I have my Sony ES SACD player (I'm loving this machine more and more) and my Sony ES Blu-Ray player (what a machine) running directly into the CSP2 and then the CSP2 into one of the Torii inputs.  The chintzy DVR box from the cable company I have running into the ZBox and the output of the ZBox into the other Torii input.  The ZBox really helps to better the sound of the DVR, as does the use of Audioquest "Black Mamba II" interconnects, which warm up the sound and smooth it a bit. (They're not as neutral as the Decware interconnects).

Quite a flexible configuration.  I do seem to have a bit of a treble lift using this configuration, but I've the ability to adjust with the treble cut circuit.  I'm going to leave this as it is. So far I seem to have more gain available when needed, and a bit more depth to the soundstage.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/09/09 at 15:27:07

Now I'm running the ES SACD player and the ES Blu-Ray into the ZBox, and then into the CSP2 (my ZBox has been modified by Steve to accomodate two inputs) and the DVR running straight into the CSP2. All ICs are Decware Silver Referrence with the exception of a Black Maamba II IC from the DVR into the CSP2.

With the ZBox I lose some weight, but gain some 'air'. A fair trade off for now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print