Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 06:40:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZSP1 as a headphone amp? (Read 6832 times)
PeterP
Ex Member

ZSP1 as a headphone amp?
07/11/09 at 17:54:55

Can the ZSP1 be used as a headphone amp?  What modifications would be required, aside from adding a headphone jack?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ZSP1 as a headphone amp?
Reply #1 - 07/12/09 at 16:12:59

Hook a 220uf 250V electrolytic cap to the output of each channel going in on the positive and leaving the cap on the negative.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
PeterP
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/09 at 14:43:22

Thanks, Steve.  That sounds like a straightforward modification to turn it into a headphone amp and I'm keen on trying it.  I want to hear the magic in headphones that you mentioned in your CSP2 design notes, but I'm on a tight budget Smiley  Portability is not an issue.  Which do you think would sound better, a Zenhead or a ZSP1 configured as you described above?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 07/13/09 at 17:01:34

Since the ZSP1 was not designed to be a headphone amp, I have no idea what the end result is going to be with this mod.  My guess is the Zen Head would actually sound better.  If the Zen Head was one of the typical portable headphone amps out there, I'd probably put my money on the tube unit sounding better, but right now the Zen Head is giving the CSP2 a serious run for it's money on headphones...  it's just unusually good.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print