Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 03:25:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help me decide which amp... (Read 4507 times)
Parker
Verified Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Help me decide which amp...
06/11/09 at 00:29:37

Hello,

So I'll be getting a ZCD which will go into my CSP2. (currently running Rega Apollo).

From there should I go Zen Triode Monoblocks? New Mini-Tori or Bigger Tori?

Speaks will be the new ERR's

The goal is ultimate fidelity and detail.

Seems to me like the Mini Tori will be the most versatile. But the Big Tori will be able to run anything from ERR's to other stuff I play around with.

And the dual mono blocks are a heck of a set up no matter which way you look at it.

$$$ doesn't make much difference. I'm leaning Big Tori but who knows.

Perhaps there is no way to answer "regardless of cost which amp sounds the best?" Please don't respond with "just get them all"

Any thoughts and help are appreciated.

And a big thanks to Steve for making awesome gear!!!

Parker

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Help me decide which amp...
Reply #1 - 06/11/09 at 02:36:43

I've had a Zen amp before even Revision A (there is Revision C at least by now), a Select amp, a pair of SE34L Monoblocks (amps which don't show up in the catalog) , the SE34I Integrated amp, and now a Torii Mark II.

I have and use every day the Radial RL2s.

The Torii Mark II is the amp which lets these speakers sing and breathe.  Makes them project, up, down, back, forwards. If you have even a medium size room, I would go for the Torii Mark II amps, the big Torii.  I am astonished at how wonderful these amp sounds.  It has all the great tonal and imaging qualities of the smaller amps.  And it has power.  All you'll need for the ERRs, which are more efficient than the RL2s.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #2 - 06/11/09 at 03:55:33

Following your system changes with interest, Lon!
You're obviously getting some wonderful music.
I'm very interested in the Torii as well, (when budget permits)
Your amp advice sounds good, it makes sense to have plenty of power on tap and then forget about "will it have enough grunt to satisfy"
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/11/09 at 04:20:08

Well I'm very impressed with the Torii Mark II.  Very happy with the sound of my system(s) at this time, and I think with speakers on the horizon, I'm about to go to another level.

Loving the guitar and bass sounds I'm getting too via my Fender '59 Bassman Reissue LTD and my Fender Blues Jr. NOS. Life is good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/09 at 04:52:23

I have the new ERR radials running with a Taboo amp. It satisfies me, no clipping, plays loud enough and even though I had a heck of a time getting all my gear to settle down partly due to my stupidity I might have done some things different. I'm a vinyl first kind of guy so my system requirements will be different from the digital guys but if I had to do it all again I think I would have gone big Tori. Now that I have a small fortune tied up in NOS and other EL84 type tubes it would be foolish for me to change. Maybe I will add another Taboo for more headroom.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print